Do you look at menu prices?

Do you look at the prices on a menu before you order? I do. Whether I am the one paying or not I look.  I do not like going to a restaurant that doesn't list their prices. I can never imagine being that rich that I don't want to know what I am paying beforehand.  If there are 2 steaks with a $4 dollar difference I usually go for the cheaper one. It is who I am. The specials, well that is crazy. I want to know what I am paying. We work hard for our money and I would like to know if I am shelling out $20 or $30 for scallops. It makes a big difference to me.

Do you drink soda at a restaurant? I never do. Slugmama was talking about this at her blog and it got me thinking. Call me cheap or thrifty, I am not paying $3 for a glass of soda. Even if they give me free refills. I will have water and be very happy with it. Not bottled, fancy water. Just regular tap water. If I am going out to eat, it means I am hungry. So I will spend my money on food. Hubby likes a glass of wine with dinner sometimes. If we are out at a nice place then he most likely orders a glass. Do I say something? No. Do I think something? Of course.

If my meal comes with a salad at a nice restaurant, I will of course eat it. There is no way I am going to order a side salad for $10 bucks. I would rather have an appetizer and share it with the kids or Hubby. You heard me right, we share appetizers. Sometimes we get just one appetizer for the whole table. There are even times that we don't get one. Unbelievable, I know.

Dessert, if we are celebrating a birthday or special occasion then we get it.  YD and I share because we are usually full and we like the same thing, chocolate. Hubby usually can't get a dessert because he can't eat dairy. My son can eat one no problem.

We bring leftovers home. No question about it. If I paid for the food then I am definitely bringing leftovers home. It can be my lunch the next day because I love leftovers. The problem is so does everyone else in my house.

My husband's company, on occasion, gives us a  bonus to go out to eat for him and I. It is a one time deal and it is up to a set amount. So I really look at the menu then. I want to get our money's worth. If that is the case we each get an appetizer, main dish and dessert. We have been know to get a dessert to go. Hubby can have 2 drinks if he wants. As long as the bill comes in under the allowed amount.

We have taken my sister and parents out for special occasions. Our kids too. When OD graduated from college she was told to not worry about prices. She could get what she wanted. My parents anniversary, get whatever you like. But I still look and order by price. I eat lots of different things so I have no problem doing that. Hubby has an allergy. Sometimes he only has one or two choices.  So he can't. Does it make me cheap? I hope not. I think I'm thrifty. I like to stretch my money and make it work for me.

So, do you look at menu prices before you order dinner? Do you drink water or do you get a cup of soda? Would you call me cheap or thrifty? I can handle it. What do you think?


Comments

  1. I do look at the prices, but if I get what I really want. I never want the larger steak or a half of a chicken anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have water! There is no question. I just do. I don't think I am cheap. I do look at the menu and decide according to price. I may not get the cheapest thing, but I do not order without thought. I don't think you are cheap. You are thrifty. Okay, occasionally, I do have tea and usually regret it because the tea is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We seldom go out to eat but when we do, I always look at the prices. Other than coffee with breakfast, I never order anything but water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we go out to breakfast which is usually only on vacation I may get a cup of juice or milk. Otherwise I am a water girl.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog