Processing Chicken


I went food shopping for a few items. I always look in the meat department for marked down meat. I hit it big with chicken this week. 


Chicken breasts on the bone ended up being $1.09 a pound which is a great price. Because I got 4 whole chickens too, I wanted some cutlets, so I did them my self.


I cut as much meat off the bone as I could do. I am not a butcher by any means. 


I ended up packing them into baggies for future use. I ended up with 6 bags which is more then enough for a meal each with leftovers. We love leftovers. 


I took all of the bones and put them into a big pot with water.


I let it simmer for several hours.


I strained it and let it cool down.


 It made 3 containers of chicken broth for the freezer. 


I also let the meat cool down.


I sorted out the meat. I put the good meat into a container for us and the skin, fat and grizzle in a bowl for Oreo's food. 


I ended up with a whole container of good meat for us. So it became several meals this week. 


YD made a chicken wrap with some.


We had chicken and cheese quesadillas for lunch. 


We made chicken salad with the rest. My son took it for dinner at work and we had any easy dinner at our house. There is enough left for 2 more sandwiches. 


So I got 6 baggies of chicken cutlets, 3 containers of chicken stock, Oreo got some food and we got 3 meals out of the scraps. Not bad for $1.09 a pound. There will be no food wasted in this house!

Do you boil your chicken bones to make broth? 











Comments

  1. Good deal on the chicken! Making your own stock and picking off the bits makes a lot of sense to me.
    I love a good markdown on meats.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great deal! This must have been chicken deal week. I also got a deal on chicken and on ground beef. Check it out at Cheryl's Frugal Corner.
    All those meals look so yummy. I love making broth/stock with the bones. It tastes so much better than store bought.
    Super week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home made is almost always better on everything. My store is redoing their floors so they have been marking lots of stuff down. Trying to stay in the budget this month has been interesting for sure. But I got lots of great deals.

      Delete
  3. Wow that is a great price for the chicken. I never see breasts that low here. About twice a year a local grocery store has chicken quarters for 39 cents a pound sold in 10 pound packs. I buy 4 of them bring them home and bone the thighs, take the legs off and freeze in packs for later then make broth with all the remaining bones and skin. I strain it, remove any meat form the bones but save the bones and skin. Then refrigerate it immediately to get the fat to harden and skim it off .then I freeze about half of it, but return the other half to the pot, put the bones back in with a little vinegar and simmer it for several hours. When chilled this makes what we fondly call chicken jello. I cut it into cubes and freeze them then use them instead of bullion cubes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great. The chicken breasts were 50% off is why they were so cheap. 39¢ ia an amazing price.

      Delete
  4. I personally love chicken but as that is all we had left in the freezer, it is all we were eating and I am a bit sick of it right now. That is a good buy and I would have done just what you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YD and I love chicken. I would eat almost every day but Hubby would revolt. YD and I are having grilled chicken for dinner and my son and Hubby are having pasta with meat sauce tonight. Everyone is happy. there will be plenty of leftovers for tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I boiled a turkey carcass last weekend, and made a pot of soup. It's pretty much gone! It was a turkey that my husband cooked on the BBQ for the youth group retreat last weekend. We did not go, but he was asked to cook 2 hams and a turkey, and cut it off the bone so it would be easy for them to serve. So, the meat went to the retreat, and I boiled both kinds of bones and made 2 soups. The second soup was simply dubbed "green bean soup" since it was just veggies from last year's garden and an onion, cooked in the ham broth and ended up being mostly beans. My husband just laughed and happily ate it up. I have a lot of frozen and canned broth already, so was glad to use it up right away.

    I see that there is a really good deal on whole chickens at one of the stores this week, so I'll get the 2 or 3 allowed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job on the soup. It amazes me how many people don't cook the bones. I made 2 soups last night with home made stock. For the kids and I, I made potato soup. For Hubby, I made pasta fagioli. Some will go into the freezers for a future meal and the rest will be lunch for a few days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog