Adding to my Pantry


The fall is a great time to add to my pantry. The farms are full of delicious local fruits and vegetables. Youngest daughter and I went out east to look at some of the farms. We love doing it. It is a great way to spend some time together. We do have a few favorites that we like to check out, but we are always open to look at new ones that pop up. One of the regular farms that we go to had a bushel of corn for $21. It did go up a little from last year but we love our local Long Island corn. After processing it and eating some, I froze 20 baggies of corn and a quart of stock. I also made 10 small jars of corn cob jelly. I still have more corn that needs to be frozen.


My son keeps bringing home the goodies that are leftover from work. They do not last long in our house. It is great in the warm months because I don't have to bake if I don't want to. 


The garden is still giving me goodies. I am very happy with all that I have gotten from it this year. I have been picking pole beans also whenever I am out side. Overnight they get huge. 


I am picking 2 to 3 times a week still. There are still lots left on the plants and the cucumbers and pole beans started flowering again. 


Since I don't want to waste any garden veggies, I have been cooking and canning. The horseradish pickles that I started at the beginning of the month are ready. I got 3 quarts.


I made salsa and canned it for the first time. It came out great. Hubby thought it could use more kick so he added some of the hot sauce that we made earlier in the year to his. I definitely need to make more of this.  I did 4 pints for storage and 1 container for the fridge. We already ate the one in the fridge. 


I made a sweet relish too.  I did 4 pints for storage and a small container for the fridge. We mix relish in with tuna, so I will use it for that. 


I made pickled peppers for the first time. The peppers are doing amazing this year so I am trying to find new ways to use them. I don't need anymore hot peppers in the freezer. 


I dried some cherry tomatoes in the oven. I put basil, oregano and olive oil on them first. These are in the freezer now. I also have been drying herbs in the oven. When I shut it off, I stick them in. It takes a few times but doesn't use extra energy. I don't have a dehydrator. 


I did go to Stop & Shop. They had chicken breasts on sale for $1.69 a pound. When I got there they had a ton of meat marked down. Since freezer space is very limited right now, I had to adjust my plans. 


I got 2  large packs of chicken breasts that I processed right away.


I bought 3 chickens for 89¢ a pound.


I also got a pound of ground pork for $1.99 a pound. We put it with ground beef in our chili. 


The chips were on sale for $1.99 each when you buy 2 and I had $1.50 off $4 for salty snacks from S&S. The Mallomars were 2 for $3 with a digital coupon and Hubby loves them. The juices were 2 for $4 and I had a $1 off coupon. The Chips Ahoy were 3 for $6. I also had $2 off a $10 meat purchase. The yogurt was free. I had $1 coupon for the Silk and it was on sale for $3 so I paid $2. I paid $59.09. 

My freezers are packed and my shelves are very full. I love when that happens. 

My total for the week is $80.09.

What did you add to your pantry this week?














Comments

  1. I love corn cob jelly but did not make any this year. We are not eating sugar and I am not sure how it would turn out as a sugar free product. I am making sf muscadine jelly though.
    Your harvest has been beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if you could do it without sugar. Mine calls for a lot of it. That is great that you cut out sugar. I don't know that I could do that.

      Delete
  2. I added nothing since there were no good sales. If you have room on top of the stove, you can put the tray of herbs on the stove top while the oven is on, the heat will help dry the herbs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. Some weeks are like that. There is always next weeks sales.

      Delete
  3. You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are doing great. Got to love all that fresh produce that you are getting.
    Great deal on meat. It is so comforting having full freezers and pantries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I sleep better at night when my pantry and freezers are full.

      Delete
  4. You're doing amazing with all the canning! I picked up a flat of jars this week, and I think I'm going to continue to do that for a bit. I've tried for years to find jars at yard sales or when someone is giving them away, but no dice, so I'm going to have to purchase them new if I want to build up a stash. We'll be going apple picking soon, so I needed some extras (and probably more!) for all of that.

    I'm focused on adding more beans to my pantry. A few years back, we had GREAT sales on beans and lentils, but not so much anymore, and the ones I bought back then are starting to get low, so I'm going to have to pay full price for lentils, I think (I haven't seen anything lower than 1.25/lb near me in a long, long time, and I think I remember reading that they had a bad crop recently, so that may explain it). I did buy a bag of black beans and a bag of white beans this week, so those got tossed into my bean containers. I'm vegetarian, so those are our main source of protein, and I like to keep a large stash on hand, since I cook with them almost every night!

    Those meat prices are fantastic! Every once in a while, I'll pick some meat up for my husband and kids, when I find an excellent price on it. A few years back, one of our stores had a huge sale on pork ribs during my husband's birthday week, so I made him ribs in the Instant Pot. He was so, so happy, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't bought lentils in over 2 years. When my uncle passed away 2 years ago I cleaned out his pantry. He had so many lentils. I think I have enough for 10 years. I got cases of black beans a few months ago very cheap so I am good for a while. We eat lots of chick peas so I try to keep lots on hand. I hope you find some good sales on beans. Our Dollar Tree has 2 pound bags of some beans for $1 which is a good price.

      If you know any elderly ladies, let them know that you are looking for canning jars. I have gotten dozens that way. They no longer can but don't want to throw away the stuff.Good luck.

      Delete
  5. You are doing great with your canning & freezing from the garden! I got the mallomars too for 2 for $3 with the digital coupon. We have shop rite, but I think they are in the stop & shop family.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing so well with all the sales and preserving you are doing :).

    We are not adding any more food now from our grocery shops until mid November when we use our next discount supermarket e-voucher. When produce from the gardens becomes available we harvest, blanch and freeze it though. Broad beans look like the next cab off the rank to harvest blanch and freeze here.

    In the last week we have harvested more French and English lavender we currently have drying and I have ordered new seeds to plant heirloom sweet corn, raspberry bushes and Thai basil. We just have to find time in our week to plant it in between looking at houses to buy one :).

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great deals. It's a good thing they let you use the coupon for $1.50 off $4. Around here, they would not, because the chips were $1.99 each and that would only be $3.98. They would make me buy another bag to go over. Still, it would be a great deal--basically getting the third bag for free!

    It's wonderful you got some reduced meat. That always helps the budget.

    Stephanie, I second the idea to look for someone who is going from quarts to pints and wants to get rid of some quarts. I know that when we moved I sold quite a few jars at our yard sales, but still kept a ton. I am still working through how many we really need at this stage of our lives. We have a very large family, but they keep growing up and moving on, so I have gone to pints on several items this year, and am finding that I probably won't want to keep all the quarts I have stored.

    One place to get low-priced beans is Cash and Carry. We've purchased several 25 pound bags for quite reasonably in the past. Azure Standard is also another place to get large quantities of beans, but they cost somewhat more because they are usually organic. (It is a co-op where you order things on-line, pay and then pick up at someone's house on a certain day/time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did have to spend over $4. The rice cakes counted towards it. YD loves them and can eat them.

      Delete
  8. Smooch produce and abundance! This is truly making hay while the sun shines. I love the Salsa. I am just about to plant tomatoes so hopefully this is in my future. I would also enjoy the farm visits. What a good week! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your garden. I'm sure you will get loads. Your new garden space looks wonderful.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog