Corn

I live on Long Island, NY and it is pretty amazing. I can be in the city in an hour or at a farm or winery in less then an hour. The best of both worlds. Youngest daughter and I went out to a few farms that we like to see what was going on. This is my favorite time of year to go out East. At one of the farms, corn was $21 for a bushel. So we bought one. They guarantee at least 50 ears of corn. Mine had 53. That comes to a little less then 40¢ an ear. They sell individual ears for 75¢ each.


We get a bushel almost every year. We look forward to it. It is so sweet and delicious. I personally think it is the best corn. The problem with corn is the longer you let it sit the starchier it gets. So I got to work on processing the corn. 


I get my biggest pot out and fill it half way with water. Then I start husking corn. All of the husks go into my compost bin. I can get 15 ears of corn in the pot at a time. They are big ears. I boil them for 20 minutes. 


I then pull them out and let them cool down on a cookie sheet. Then the next 15 go into the pot. If more water is needed, I add it. 


Next I get my biggest bowl out. I put a glass ramekin in the middle to lean the corn cob on while I cut off the corn. When the corn is cooled off enough for me to hold, I start cutting off the kernels. 


If I see any bad spots I cut them off first. Into the compost pile. 


I put the flat side on the ramekin and cut the bottom section off. I kind of make a handle to hold the corn while I do the rest.


I flip it over and then cut off the rest. I don't want to cut to deep or I get more then the kernels. After a few, you get the hang of it. 


You are left with big pieces of corn together. I take out the ramekin and gently start crumbling the corn to make it come apart. 


 I then bag up my corn. I do 2 cups per baggie. I made 20 bags out of the 30 ears. 


Now I am going to start on my corn cob jelly.  I take the cobs and throw them back into the water that I boiled them in.


I do not add water at this point. If they are not all covered, then I do half at a time. I boil them for an hour. When it is done I pull out the cobs. They go into my compost bin too. Then I strain the liquid. Some people leave the bits in. It is up to you. I don't. 


I add the bits to the dogs food. I really try not to waste any food. 


Now I have a bowl of condensed cob stock. I usually go down to a smaller pot at this point.  Then I make jelly like I normally do. I made a batch on the stove of plain corn cob jelly. I got 5 small jars. I did not can them.


In my bread machine, I made a batch of spiced corn cob jelly. I got 5 small jars of that too. I love my bread machine. It does so much more then bread. 


So I got a total of 10 small jars. I had more stock so I put it into the freezer. I will use it when I make corn and potato soup. 


So I got 10 jars of jelly, 1 quart of stock, 20 baggies of corn in my freezer and 23 ears of corn to eat. I will end up freezing some corn on the cob. Just not today.  I think I did pretty good for $21.

Have you ever made corn cob jelly? 








Comments

  1. No, I have not, but it sounds like a good idea. That is a good price. Your "Peaches and Cream" variety is my favorite. You certainly stretched those corn cobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a bundt pan, try using that to hold the cob....the center hole is rather handy for decobbing corn. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brilliant. I do have a bundt pan and never thought to use it. I guess my mom did it my way and that is all I ever knew.

      Delete
  3. This is indeed a familiar sight! I'm from the Midwest and grew up with corn fields in my back yard, literally (which meant we also had snakes, because they like the field mice!). My mom still puts u p corn most years, and sometimes she brings me bags, which is always much appreciated. I've never made corn cob jelly though; what does it taste like? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends who you ask. The plain is sweet. I think it tastes like corn but others have said honey, apple or pear. When someone I know has never tried it, I don't tell them what it is. I make them guess. No one has ever guessed it. I guess not to many people are making corn cob jelly on Long Island. The spiced tastes like a sweet cinnamon.

      Delete
  4. Cool I've never heard of corn cob jelly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog