I Quit My Job!

I have been working at a movie theater for the past 13 years. I started when my YD was still at home. I had been babysitting a friend's daughter and she had started school. We needed the money so I got a part time job there for nights and weekends. It worked for us because Hubby watched the kids. I didn't have to pay anyone and I didn't want a stranger watching my kids. When YD started school, I transitioned from nights to days. But I still had to work weekends and holidays. 

The movie theater is open 365 days a year. We have only been closed on 1 day since I started, Super Storm Sandy and that was because the state mandated it. We are open every holiday, every snow storm, everyday. When I took the job, I knew that. I signed paperwork saying I would work weekends and holidays, that I had a reliable car and could get there in any weather. 

13 years is a long time. I have seen many changes there over the years, some good, mostly bad. There are only 7 people in the theater that are full time anymore and they are managers. No one else is allowed to work full time any more. We have a different schedule every week. There is no way to make plans because you get your schedule Sunday for work that starts the next day. You can request a day off but it is not guaranteed. I have been denied days off and I have seen many others denied days off. If I buy tickets to a concert, I am going to that concert. I shouldn't have to beg another employee to take my shift because I didn't get off when I put my request in early. But it happens often.

I have vented about how rude some customers can get. It takes a toll on you. I have been called words that no one should be called. I'm sorry that you bought the tickets to the wrong day but that does not give you the right to scream like a crazy person. Unfortunately my company policy is that the customer is right so they can act like animals and most of my managers will still give them free passes. I have had popcorn thrown at me. I have seen people spit in kids faces. 16 year olds are kids and I don't care if they were on their phone or talking to a coworker. It is not OK to spit on a person. I have seen people throw their drinks on employees, hit a waitress and so many other things. 

On the other hand, we have some of the best customers who I will miss very much. I have gotten birthday cards, get well cards, Christmas cards, and chocolate for Valentine's Day. I have watched kids grow up and families lose a member. I saw a beautiful little girl and her family battle cancer and win. She lost a leg in her fight, but she is now a beautiful, healthy young lady. I will miss seeing her. 

Many of the employees that I worked with are in their teens or twenties. Most of them call me mom. I guess I mother where ever I go. I adore them and truly want what is best for them. I have seen several of my coworkers get married and some even had babies. I am like a proud mom when they enter the military, graduate high school and college or move on to full time jobs. They usually come back to visit me. Now I won't be there to see them. 

Hubby and I have been talking about me leaving the theater for over a year. A situation happened at work, not involving me. I saw how it was handled and I was very upset with it. Several people, including myself contacted our HR department. They came to investigate. They ended up believing the 2 managers involved and not the 20+ people that had contacted HR. I almost quit on the spot but one of my managers talked me out of it. The home office wants to look away when they deem it is a good employee at the expense of the rest of us. Policies over the years have changed and not for the better for employees. There was no potential for me to grow my career with certain key managers and higher ups. I was underpaid and under appreciated by management. Yet I was always the first one to be called when they needed something because I was reliable and a hard worker. 

I have Vertigo and I have been having health problems for the last 4 years because of it. The doctors are not sure what causes it but stress doesn't help. My job was stressing me out more and more lately. Hubby and I have been talking about it and we agreed it was time for me to leave. I put my notice in advance as to not screw anyone over. I had already committed to working Christmas Eve so I did. I wanted to say goodbye in person to all of the college kids that would be returning. I worked the week of Christmas and I was done. I have cried several times because I will miss them. 

Thankfully, Hubby and I got our finances in order several years ago. Our only debt is our mortgage. Hubby recently got a raise too. We are very frugal and we have a fully funded emergency fund. But I am a worrier so I still worry. YD will be starting college this fall. We have money saved but not enough for all 4 years. Hubby told me to take a break and try to figure out what I want to do. I'm 44 years old and I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. All I ever wanted to be was a mom and wife. I am lucky that I have been. I will be watching our expenses like a hawk to see where I can cut them. And I will try to figure out what I want do do in the next chapter of my life. 




















Comments

  1. Congratulations! The relief you feel must be enormous. My mother has worked for...let's call it The Evil Big Box Store for over 30 years now, and what you say here echoes a lot of what she says. Many changes, none for the better; customers behaving like animals (I've dealt with that as well); management making disgusting decisions that show they think very little of their employees. She's down to two days a week and is counting the days until she fully retires in October. It's horrible, and I'm sorry you were treated so poorly. It's really a shame what these companies do to their employees and it should never be like that.

    But yay for all your newfound free time! I look forward to reading about all your adventures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. God Bless your mom. I would not have been able to do 30 years. It is amazing how a few people can ruin it for everyone.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you made the right decision! A long time coming, but the stress from work is not worth what it does to you. Give yourself some time to figure things out and enjoy your time off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is what Hubby keeps saying. He is fine if I stay home. He appreciates all I do at home. I am lucky to have him.

      Delete
  3. Good for you and a fresh new start to you. Stress can ruin your heath and can even be a killer.
    I agree take time - get your home in order - soon spring will be here - then gardens!
    I am 64 and still don't know what I want to be when I grow up!!!!!! LOL

    JUST ENJOY, at least for a while. If you are needed somewhere - God will place it in front of you!
    Congrats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are so right, God will help me find my way. I guess right now I am needed at home. It is one of my most favorite places. I cannot wait for my gardens. This year might be a good year to expand. I'll see if I can talk Hubby into it. You know, to save more money.

      Delete
  4. The only constant is life is change. Glad you recognized the need for a change and took it. Everything else will fall into place. Good luck with this new phase of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you made the right decision and I believe it will all work out for you.
    You are smart and know how to stretch income.
    About the college expenses, I don’t know your husband’s income but I suspect your child will qualify for more financial aid and you’ll pay less taxes/ more credits without your income included.
    From personal experience, a part time job was more of a hindrance than help at FAFSA and all the complicated federal rules about education expenses.

    I am also a homemaker and a homebody and I worked when I had to but I am so thankful to not be working now.

    Best wishes to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. FAFSA is very complicated and annoying. It is also based on the prior 2 years income so me not working right now will have nothing to gain for her college this fall. By then I may be working again anyway. The only thing my 2 oldest qualified for were loans and we are trying very hard to not go that route again.YD is currently working part time and is putting most of that towards college. She does have to pay for her cell phone, gas and spending money with it too.

      Delete
  6. I am happy for you. Don't worry if you need to work something will fall into your lap. You are a hard worker and a hard worker can rarely keep from finding work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I do have eBay and Craigslist to bring in some money still.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your decision. When one door closes another one opens. It took me awhile but I felt tremendous relieve when I finally retired from quilting for a living. When family asked me why I quit, the answer was simple, the money was not worth the stress. I often struggle making ends meet but I'm so much happier. I'd rather have a struggle than a stress any time.

    Hmm, I bet if you kept track of the time you spend doing frugal things as well as the amount of money you save that your hourly wages of being at home would be significant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hubby tells me all the time that I save us much more by all that I do at home then I made working there.

      Delete
  8. Good for you for putting your health first and getting out of a stressful situation! Your "I'm 44 but don't know what I want to be when I grow up" rings very true with me too (although I'm 48 LOL). All I ever wanted to "be" was a mom and wife too. =) Here's to starting new chapters for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations Mcoia and as you took the step to resign you know deep down it was the right decision for you. I have seen how you manage finances through this blog and I am sure you, your DH and family will do just fine financially.

    As was said we always put things in the hands of God and he will guide you on your correct path. I know you will be sad for a while but it will improve.

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We worked hard to get our finances in order so that is a blessing. I have already had a coworker reach out to get together. We are going out (paid for with Christmas gift cards) to dinner next week.

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on beginning a new chapter in your life! I hope the reduction in stress helps with the vertigo. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the exact thing after 27 years of teaching! I have to wait 6 years to collect retirement but I am so much more content and I make do with all I have. Like you , I have several health problems that arose , ( they were really there for awhile but I put work first) now I'm taking care of them one at a time. I also get to spend more time with grandson. It will all work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is hard for us moms to put ourselves first sometimes. I am glad you were able to retire early. The benefits outweigh the negatives we decided, so it was time for me to quit.

      Delete
  12. Good for you for quitting! I worked at a theatre when I was in high school years ago. It was hard work. Dealing with the public is extremely difficult and people seem to be getting more and more rude. You are resourceful and will do great spending your time home doing frugal activities.
    Jeannie@GetMeToTheCountry

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unless things have changed drastically, the FAFSA will take into account your quitting a job. You cannot file online. Make an appointment and go in with all the figures and facts. The person at the school can use an "administrative override" to take into account the family's present income. I will check this and let you know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I didn't bring home enough money for it to change our income bracket.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog