Adding to my Pantry


I went to BJs for a few items. I got the bread to bring to OD's apartment so we could make french toast. BJs has coupons by the front door and I always look through them. There was one for $5 off black beans. They are regularly $5.99. So I got 8 cans for 99¢. Then I got 25¢ from Ibotta. I called Hubby and asked him to get a case on the way home. The coupon said one per person per day. He got them too. We did it again the next day. Hubby works right around the corner from BJs. I have 32 cans of black beans for less then $4. That is a great addition to my food storage. I will try to get more before the coupon expires on 8/8. 


BJs total was $27.40

I went to Meat Farms so that I could make sandwiches and bring fruit to Baltimore.  Cold cuts are not cheap but they are cheaper then going out to eat. We ate them for several days lunch and we left the rest for OD. I got cherries for $1.99 and we (mostly my son) ate them all. I got grapes for $1.99 a pound. Bananas were 49¢ a pound. I bought 3 loaves of Italian bread for the sandwiches. I spent $40.99. Sorry I forgot to take a picture. 


I bartered with a friend for some golden delicious Long Island honey. We have been doing it the last few years and we both enjoy it. 


We harvested lots of lettuce, peppers and peas from the garden. I got my first 2 purple peppers. They are so pretty. 


OD harvested cucumbers and arugula from her garden. I am so proud! 


 We did take OD grocery shopping while we were in Baltimore but I don't put it under my groceries. It goes under our vacation budget. We cooked at her apartment while we were there. 

My total for the week was $68.39.

How is your garden doing? Are you growing lots of veggies? What did you add to your pantry? 

Comments

  1. I love your blog and this topic is one of my favorites so I think I will join in.
    We just moved last weekend (bought a house since we have been renting since 2006, when we sold our last house) so the cupboards and freezer are bare.
    With this beautiful home came a veggie garden so I have (if I can keep it alive)...pumpkins, spaghetti squash, beans, tomatoes, carrots, grapes, strawberries and I am not sure what else just yet. I will do some major shopping on Saturday after checking the ads and coupons and report back on how I am filling my pantry. One of the reasons I let it go to bare was I plan to only buy what we eat on a regular basis and we don't vary much for sure. We are pretty boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining in. I only stock what we eat. During an emergency is not the time to try out new foods on my family. I would have eaten everything up too if we were to move. My stockpile is heavy. The rice alone is over 100 pounds. Good luck stocking up your new pantry. Remember it is a marathon and not a race. Don't go into debt to stock up quick. There are different sales every week so take advantage of them. The veggie garden will be great. Do you can? If you have any questions feel free to ask here. Several of us have gardens and would love to help. Congrats on your new house.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your reply! I didn't go nuts, stuck to the list and stayed within budget. The stock up deals were Spaghetti sauce (.99), frozen pizza (2.99),shredded cheese (1.49) and frozen dinners (1.49) I know not the healthiest but I only get 20 min for lunch and it can nuke while I am letting the dogs out. I would love to learn to can and I am hoping to barter some of this garden since its just 2 of us. This week pantry add will be dog food, Glucerna bars and soda at Target.

      Delete
    3. Frozen dinners for 2 is much cheaper then going out to eat so I say good job. I don't get a break at work most days so I bring items I can snack on like hard boiled eggs, carrots, grapes and nuts. I can munch while I work at my desk.

      Delete
  2. I have never seen a coupon for cases of beans. That was a great price!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a mistake. The coupon next to it was $1 off a case of pinto beans. I told all of my friends and family and several got them too. I am very grateful that I was able to get so many for so little.

      Delete
    2. After reading your post I went to BJS to stock up on beans. The 5 off coupon was available :D. In our Bjs (Florida) beans are more expensive:7.79 for the 8 cans. $5 off coupon, still a bargain for $2.79. Thank you for the tip! Patricia

      Delete
    3. Hubby has been great and stopping in after work. We have gotten 8 8 packs so far. I have used the Ibotta 25¢ any item twice on them so that brings the total spent $7.42 for 64 cans of beans. That makes each can 11 1/2 ¢ each.

      Delete
  3. You got some great deals, especially the beans! I wish we could have a garden but between our growing season being so short and the critters, there isn't much hope. We do have some wild berries, but getting to them before the bears do is challenging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks about a garden. I wouldn't want to fight a bear for berries. Maybe just some herbs in pots would work.

      Delete
  4. Hi Mcoia and you did really well both in the garden produce and picking up those tinned beans for such a good price too :). I have no doubt it was a mistake too but better saving in your pocket than the multinationals I always say.

    Most of our pantry additions again came from the gardens last week being -

    - Separated out 392 g of garden picked and dried thyme and 350 g is already sold to customers in my internet shop.
    - Added 21 g of snow peas, 254 g of shelling peas, 200 g of large money maker tomatoes, and 2.3 kg of cherry tomatoes picked from the gardens.
    - We also harvested more English and French lavender from the gardens as well.

    Have a great week :).

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing great selling so many dried herbs. And your garden just keeps giving you tomatoes. Enjoy them all. I should be getting some tomatoes soon. I have so many green ones. I can't wait.

      Delete
    2. Hi Mcoia I think homegrown produce always tastes better after you haven't had it for a while. I hope your tomatoes flourish and give you enough to preserve and eat too.

      Sewingcreations15.

      Delete
    3. Thank you. Just used my last jar of tomato sauce from last year.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog