My Frugal List: Week of July 16, 2018


The kids made it home safe from Italy. They had the most amazing time and cannot stop talking about it. They were both invited back to come spend some of next summer with our friends. We will see what happens but they both are hoping that they get too. 

They brought us some wonderful gifts. Wine for Hubby, a beautiful tablecloth for me and a glass figurine for OD. They also can home with lots of clothes for themselves. 

I did really well this week on Craigslist and eBay. I sold 2 more mini fridges, a hat, a jersey, CDs and DVDs. More money towards the driveway fund. I did receive 100 free listings on eBay so I am listing lots of stuff. 


I had to got to BJs for a few items. They have coupons by the front door and I always look through them. There was one for $5 off black beans. They are regularly $5.99. So I got 8 cans for 99 cents. Then I got 25 cents from Ibotta. I called Hubby and asked him to get a case on the way home. The coupon said one per person per day. He got them too. We did it again the next day. Hubby works right around the corner from BJs. I have 32 cans of black beans for less then $4. That is a great addition to my food storage. I will try to get more before the coupon expires on 8/8. 


I worked 4 days since the kids were away. I brought lunch everyday with me. I did bring bagels one day, paid with a gift card, because one of the ladies was leaving. I will miss her. She is moving upstate and I wish her the best. 

I bartered garden veggies for 2 jars of honey from a friend.

It rained several days so I only had to water the garden twice. I did have to be quick with my laundry trying to get it dry between rain storms.


I went raspberry picking on an empty lot several times. I have collected about a pounds worth. 


We went to visit OD in Baltimore. We are currently staying at her apartment. It saves us from having to pay for a hotel. She has an extra bedroom, a couch and a cot. We make it work. We brought veggies from the garden for her. We took her food shopping to Aldi's (she doesn't have a car) so that we can cook at her apartment. We did bring bagels and bread with us. We packed lunch and drinks for the ride down. We are visiting colleges for youngest daughter. Hubby, OD and her boyfriend are going to an Orioles game. They are walking to the game since OD lives 6 blocks from the stadium. This will save on parking. We also did an early dinner so that they do not have to eat there. We also went to the local used book store. It is a must when we visit. Only YD and OD's boyfriend bought anything but it was fun to look.


OD has a small plot in a community garden. We went to look at it. She is doing great on her first garden. She has peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, basil and arugula. She picked a bunch of arugula for us. She also picked 4 cucumbers that we have been eating.


I garbage picked 3 cases of Ball jars.

Oreo is staying with my sister. She is having lots of fun going on walks and playing with Lip. My FIL is watching the house and garden so that costs us nothing. This saves us a lot of money by not having to board Oreo or pay someone to watch our house. We do the same for them. 


We are trying to keep costs down while we are away but still have a good time. Vacations don't have to be expensive.

What did you do to save money this week? 




Comments

  1. Hi Mcoia and I bet you are glad the children are home and that they enjoyed themselves. What a bargain on black beans and at that price I would be stocking up too :).

    Our Vicky challenge savings and earnings added up to $428.21 last week.

    Here is how we saved and accomplished -

    Earnings -
    - Earned $50.40 from the sale of a home made bread bag and 300 g of thyme picked from the gardens and dried in my internet store.
    - Earned $3 from the sale for a garden harvested a bunch of silver beet to friends.

    Finances -
    - Banked more money into our home deposit savings account bringing us to 26.80 % of the way there.

    Purchases -
    - BigW were have a huge clearance on their winter and some summer clothing with markdowns and a further markdown of 40% off those prices again (18th to the 26th I think) in store. With our following purchases we saved 73.31% or $267 on usual retail prices and stocked both of our wardrobes for a few years to come in winter clothing.

    For myself I purchased on special 2 pairs of knitted gloves, 3 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of jeggings, 2 pairs of shaping tights, 1 x 3/4 sleeve lace detail t-shirt, 8 x l/s t-shirts, 3 x 5 pk of cushioned sports socks, 3 x puffer vests, 3 x puffer jackets. For DH we purchased 4 x l/s t-shirts, 1 zip polar fleece jacket, 4 quilted track suit tops, 6 tracksuit tops and 4 x tracksuit pants.

    In the gardens -
    - Separated out 392 g of thyme picked and dried from the gardens saving $52.68 over purchasing it.
    - Picked 21 g of snow peas, 254 g of early Massey shelling peas, 200 g of money maker tomatoes and 2.3 kg of cherry tomatoes from the gardens saving $52.68 over purchasing them in the supermarkets.
    - Harvested more French and English lavender to dry from the gardens and separated other dried garden harvested French and English lavender saving $9.68 over purchasing it in the shops.

    In the kitchen-
    - Cooked all meals and bread from scratch.

    Other frugal things we usually do -
    - Saved warm up shower water and dish rinsing water to water the fruit tree pot plants on the back veranda, only turned on the electric hot water system when it needed heating, heated the home with free firewood, boiled our kettle most days on top the slow combustion fireplace instead of using the electric kettle, hung washing out to dry on the clothes line and washed out and reused clip seal freezer bags.

    Have a wonderful week ahead everyone :).

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the day to day things that save us so much money. Gardening and shopping sales are 2 big parts. You did great. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog