The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Lets start with the bad. On Thursday, Hubby went out to get in his car at lunch time and noticed a puddle underneath. He put his finger in it and smelt it. It was gas. So, he drove carefully straight to the shop. They were very busy and said it would be a few days until they could look at it. I was at work but thankfully my son wasn't. Hubby called him and he ran and picked up his dad. Hubby ate lunch and then had my son drive him back to the office so that my son would still have his car. Hubby called that evening to say could someone please pick him up. Hubby works about 2 1/2 miles from our house. 

So, I was driving along in traffic on a road that runs parallel to the expressway to get to Hubby's office. When an idiot came flying off the expressway and across 3 lanes and hit my car. I tried to move over and actually hit the curb. I was going so slow that my car couldn't even get up on the curb. I am fine but my car got a nice dent and paint damage on the driver's side fender. 

I pulled into the gas station, following the guy that hit me and he jumps out of his car cursing me out that I didn't let him merge. 3 LANES! He went across 3 lanes without a signal, without any warning. Like I am psychic and knew he was going to need to turn at that corner. I got back in my car and called Hubby. He came jogging over (he is wonderful) and dealt with the guy. I was so mad and annoyed that I didn't even want to talk to this man. As soon as Hubby showed up, this man started talking nice to Hubby. When it was me alone, he was cursing and screaming. Hubby got all of the man's info and took pictures of the car and intersection and traffic. I sat in the car royally pissed off. But I was better off being quiet then screaming back at this jerk. Hence why I am venting to all of you. You never know about people anymore and it could be a crazy person. Hubby drove me home. 

We called our car insurance and reported it right away. Today, Friday,  Geico called to record my statement. Turns out we both have Geico so that made it a little easier. Hubby then had to upload all of the photos. 

The ugly. My poor car. I know it is a 2006 but I really like my mini van and it got beat up. 


I know it can be fixed but I try to take good car of it. I want it to last as long as possible. We are cash flowing 2 kids through college and I don't want to worry about having to get a newer car. I also lost a hubcap on the other side when I hit the curb. 


 The Good! No one was hurt. That is truly the most important thing.  Hubby's coworker just lost her SIL last month in a car accident. I am fine, the idiot is fine. Both cars are driveable. It is just a nuisance. I was driving not YD or my son. They were both safe at home. Geico called before and said I am not responsible. They found the other driver 100% responsible. Talk about quick service. Less then 24 hours. So I have an appointment at the shop on Wednesday. 

Hubby called after that to ask me to pick him up and bring him to the shop where the other car was. YD and I were at the library. We checked out and went and picked him up and dropped him off at the shop. He called me when he got back to work. It was a rusted clamp on the fuel filler tube. The mechanic fixed it and didn't charge us because we are good customers and it took him less then 5 minutes. 

Thursday was not a good day but it could have been so much worse. Friday turned out much better. Have a good evening and drive safely!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! I'm so glad you're okay. You must've been very shaken up. That's great service from Geico, too, getting back to you in 24 hours. I think we're going to be insurance shopping soon, so I'll keep them in mind when we're doing price comparisons.

    Glad today was better, and that your husband's car was an easy fix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are ok but watching some people drive you wonder why there aren't more accidents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mcoia how awful for you and it makes it worse when the other at fault driver tries to bully and swear at you and make out they are right when you know for a fact that they are in the wrong. I am glad your hubby stepped in as some people can be very abusive and violent and you did the right thing not to confront him yourself.

    I am glad you are alright and as I always say a car can be fixed but a human being is a lot more complex to fix :). Glad the insurance company has confirmed the other driver is in the wrong and mighty good move of your husband to take those photos to confirm it wasn't your fault.

    Years ago I had something similar happen and a very elderly gentleman went straight through a stop sign and t-boned me driving on a main highway. The difficult part about it is that he was the opposite to your lunatic and was so nice and said "oh you are the nicest person I have ever had an accident with". He told me he was caring for his sick wife and him driving was their only form of transportation.

    I went to the police station and they knew him on a first name basis being a local for many years. They asked me if I wanted him charged and suggested I didn't, but as he was elderly I felt sorry for him if I did, as he would have lost his drivers licence. They went and saw him and got a letter from him to say he would pay for the damage to my car in cash so that is what I did and yes true to his word he did pay in cash for my car repairs.

    The truth is I was so nice because I was so angry and in shock that I couldn't even speak to him apart from a few words and jotting down his details.

    Another case of all's well that ends well but in both cases you and I would have been in shock and it doesn't make it any better with someone yelling at you :).

    Hope your week gets better and glad they could repair your husbands car free of charge too.

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You are very correct about it being harder to put people back together. I'm glad everything worked out with your accident. It has got to be hard when you are old and not able to drive yourself anymore. I remember when my parents had to have that conversation with my grandparents.

      Delete
  4. Glad everyone is ok. You definitely had someone looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog