My Frugal Week: December 10, 2018

I love this time of year. I would hang Christmas lights and play Christmas music all year if Hubby would let me. Hubby and I went on a date and drove around looking at lights and listening to music. We brought drinks and a snack with us so all it cost us was the gas. We are planning on doing it again this week. 

Youngest daughter has been excepted to another college that she applied to. She was also given The Presidential Scholarship. We are so proud of all of her hard work. She is still working on scholarships as she has time. We are still waiting to hear from 2 more schools. 


I had my work holiday party this week. They provided the main course and employees were asked to donate desserts. We had a great turnout and so many people brought goodies. We watched ELF and played games and had an ugly sweater contest. I went with a long sweater since I had this old cardigan. Unfortunately I did not win. A beer sweater won. I did have fun making it though. We also did a trivia game about holiday movies and I lost that one too. I did bring home lots of leftovers . 

Hubby had his work holiday party this week also. It was out at an ale house. It was in a private room and he had a great time.


I always scrap out the bottom and sides of my jars. This time it was peanut butter. I then gave it to Oreo. She had a great time licking it.


My sister came to visit me at work one day and to see a movie. She came over for dinner after. She treated us to Greek. There was enough leftovers for us to have lunch the next day. She brought lots of goodies with her. She has gotten several holiday baskets and passed some of the stuff that she didn't want to us. 


She also got this Max antler from a friend for Lip. He hates it and won't wear it. Oreo liked it a lot. 

I finished my cards finally. I bought 3 boxes from the Dollar Store and ran out. So I went through my box of cards and made do with what I had. 


The drain in the upstairs shower was not working properly. I cleaned it out and the downstairs tub too. Hubby did the bathroom sinks since they are a little more complicated. They are all draining great. I need to remember to do this more often, 


I went to Meat Farms and hit the marked down rack. There was an employee loading it up. I got broccoli, clementines, and 2 packages of peppers for $1.59 each. 


My son has finished his semester at school and just has finals left. He has told work that starting next week he can work more hours. He brought a bunch of goodies home this week. 

YD has been busy with work also. She is really enjoying it. 


All meals except the above were cooked at home. We eat really well here. Leftovers have been eaten too. We have tried several new GF recipes. We made GF french toast that YD liked from the bread I made in my bread machine. The picture is the regular french toast. I forget to take a picture of the GF version. 


All of my shopping is done. I am waiting for a few more packages to arrive. I have been using paper and gift bags that we already had. Cards to Hubby and the kids are all homemade. 

What did you do this week to stay frugal?









Comments

  1. As usual you scored big time. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in vegetable envy seeing that discount rack. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like that all the time and people just walk by it. Sometimes there is extra shopping carts full. I always go there first. Everything is usually marked between 99¢ and $1.99. We have eaten the broccoli and some of the clementines already. Tomorrow is sausage and peppers and I will freeze the extra.

      Have a wonderful Christmas. I wish I could send you some of the marked down fruits and veggies.

      Delete
  3. I'm saving a lot this year on Christmas in several ways. I've been searching for mark-downs for a few months, and bought several things for people that way, when I could find things they legitimately wanted. (Sadly, we have had a person in the past who would simply fill gift bags with random clearance items and gift them to us and our children---and it was such a waste of time and effort--I always felt bad, and guilty when we ended up getting rid of them soon afterwards:(--so, for that reason, I'm pretty selective)

    We've been making items. My husband made cutting boards from reclaimed pallets. They are beautiful. He also made some push-pull sticks for getting things out of the oven when you can't reach. I made some hats from remnants of fleece fabric, bought on 1/2 the sale price. I did some sewing. I have also done a few food items, such as banana-coconut bread with some gifted coconut, and frozen burritos.

    The rest we bought, and tried to get on sale, but did cut down the amount of gifts we gave. We cut down our gift card gifting, but still bought a few--of course they cost what they cost.

    I also bought less groceries this month, and even got several food gift items from the lowered grocery budget. We are eating very well, anyway, from the cupboards, freezers and pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you did a great job on your Christmas shopping. I would rather something small and useful then something expensive that i will never use.

      Great job on keeping your grocery budget low. That well stocked pantry is coming in handy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog