My Frugal Week: December 24, 2018

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. I cannot believe it is 2019. Sorry I am behind a little on posting. It was a busy time of year. Also lots of visiting with family and friends. OD and her BF came home Thursday night and left Sunday morning. We had a late Christmas but it was still wonderful. We watched The Solo Movie ( I got it as a present) and we played lots of games while they were here. Lets get on to what we did frugal this week.

We went to my SIL's for Christmas Eve. She does a huge spread and we all help out. We brought multiple desserts, wine and brandy with cherries. Everything was enjoyed. I always wash dishes for her. She is kind enough to have 30+ people over so that is my little gift back. My other SIL always dries everything. She does have a dishwasher so I mainly do pots and pans. She always is so grateful for the help. We only give a gift to my FIL and MIL. We stopped gifts for everyone years ago as there are 12 nieces and nephews. My SIL's best friend comes every year with her 2 daughters. They are family at this point. She did the saran wrap ball game for the kids. They had a lot of fun. She spent a lot of money on it. Both of my kids each got a gift card, some cash and candy. My one nephew got nothing and my son felt bad so he gave him some of the cash that he got. I was a very proud mom. He by no means had gotten the most but he was the only one who gave him something. My SIL that wasn't hosting always does Christmas bingo. She always get enough gifts for everyone. This year she got scratch off lotto tickets. The only one that won any money on their ticket was YD. It was only $2 but she was still happy. 


We drove to my parents house in Connecticut for Christmas day. Oreo came with us since it was going to be a long day and we had no one to watch her. She had a great time. We brought multiple desserts for there too. There were only 11 of us there this year so it was pretty easy. I always wash dishes for my mom to help out. I don't mind doing it and she appreciates it. We played several games and had a great time. My parents also got scratch off lottery tickets for everyone. I won the most, $4, then my son won $2 and my sister also won $2. We all took the cash. I would rather buy chocolate then another lotto ticket. We all exchange gifts on my side of the family. We do keep it low cost and homemade gifts are always enjoyed. We all loved our presents. I budget all year for Christmas.


I made Jello for Christmas at my parents. My sister surprised us with a jello snowman so my mom sent me home with my jello. 

I packed up all of the boxes, gift bags, tissue paper and bows for nest year. I didn't buy any this year and I should be good for next year too. We were a few gift bags short this year so I took some plain brown and white bags that I had and had YD decorate them. They came out great. 


My in-laws came Friday for dinner while OD was home. They haven't seen her in a long time. I cooked a turkey I got before Thanksgiving for 39¢ a pound. Hubby made homemade cranberry sauce with a bag of cranberries I got for 27¢. We used potatoes I got earlier in the year at the farm stands, carrots that were 30¢ a pound and homemade corn bread stuffing. It was a ton of food for about $10. Hubby made pot pies for dinner the next day for dinner. I then made stock with the bones and made a pot of homemade turkey soup with some of the leftovers. There is still some turkey left so it went into the freezer for future meals. 


My in-laws brought cookies, homemade wine and homemade red wine vinegar for us. We had some other desserts still so I served them too. 

Oreo got a bath at home before Christmas. She also got her nails cut. 


I wanted some fresh fruits and veggies. I always go right to the marked down rack at Meat Farms. It was packed and they had an overflow cart. I got broccoli, squash and 2 packs of apples. Apples were regular priced at $1.99 a pound. I got a little over 3 pounds for 1 pack and they were $1.59. 


I shopped sales, used coupons and Ibotta for groceries this week. 

I sold several items and shipped them out in envelopes and boxes I had. Several people gave me boxes that they got packages in so I am good for a while now. 

Our front screen door handle got broken. Hubby was able to fix it with items we had already.


YD had a friend sleep over for New Year's Eve. The friend brought cookie dough so they could make cookies. YD ate ones that we already had for her that were GF. The rest of us enjoyed the cookies. We used a bottle of champagne that we had and snacks that we already had.  I went to bed right after midnight but the girls stayed up and watched a movie. Hubby and I made pancakes for breakfast this morning and they just ate them when they woke up. 


My son has been bringing home leftovers from work. Several went right into the freezer so we have plenty of baked goods right now.

I washed baggies, did only full loads in the washer and dishwasher, kept the heat down and wore layers. We ate lots of leftovers but are happy to. 

What did you do this week that was frugal? 





Comments

  1. Sounds like you had an eventful and fun filled week! How wonderful to spend time with family and to share in all the duties.
    Bravo to your son for sharing. You obviously did a good job there!
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year! I'm glad you had such a nice holiday. Your doggie is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. I hope you are feeling better. Oreo says thank you too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mcoia and I am glad you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year and was able to pick up some wonderful bargains with your fruit and vegetables.

    We have found out that we also have mystery trees which I have identified and they are 3 mulberry trees and a possible mandarin tree that are planted in our other half of the property. I am thrilled and the mulberry trees are fruiting but will require fertilising and watering shortly.

    We had an easy Christmas and made platters of cheese, french onion dip, carrots, cucumber and ham purchased on super special to have with crackers for lunch. For dinner we made a pasta salad and had that with steak also purchased on special cooked on the BBQ. We even purchased bread rather than making it as we felt like a total break from cooking and the bread lasted all week.

    Our savings last week added up to $1667.77 :).

    House organisation -
    - Unpacked all of our grocery stockpile and put it on 4 x 5 shelf gorilla shelving units we purchased in the food storage room. Everything is now rotated new to the back older to the front date wise and ready to use.
    - We reused one of the 2 door kitchen pantries to put all of our medications, medical kit, vitamins, minerals and supplements in.

    Water and electricity savings -
    - We are reusing the grey water from our washing machine to water ornamental shrubs planted around the home, potted canna & calla lilies and spider plants and for flushing the toilet with rather than using town water.
    - Purchased a 25lt water drum with tap which we fill up once a day and use the water for filling the kettle, filling drink bottles, a bucket for hand washing water and dishwashing water. This saves the pump kicking in every time we want a drink, to fill the kettle or wash our hands saving a lot in electricity costs.
    - Using our shower warm up water to water potted herb and fruit trees again saving on town water usage.

    In the gardens -
    - Between us DH and I spent 13 hours mowing lawns, mulching ornamental shrubs and trimming star jasmine and mulberry tree branches so we could get the ride on lawn mower under them to mow saving $585 over hiring a gardener to do it.
    - Between DH and I we spent 6 hours loading the trailer for 3 loads of green waste to the tip saving another $270 over hiring a gardener to do it for us.
    - Spent another hour between us filling in dog dig holes in the lawns and sheds with dirt kindly supplied to us by our neighbour saving another $45 in getting a gardener in.

    Groceries -
    - We did go Christmas Eve shopping and purchase specials on triple smoked shaved ham from the deli, reduced priced roast chickens, some electrolytes, medical supplies, sparkling apple juice, sauces, topped up our battery supplies, BBQ lighters and other groceries saving 34.08% or $63.63 including specials, clearances and our roadside assist gift cards. The best specials were cooked roast chickens @$4.50 ea reduced from $9 each and triple smoked leg ham @ $3.60 per kg reduced from $18 kg.

    Purchases -
    - Bought a 100 lt ride on lawnmower towable sprayer with trailer for $315 saving $438 on prices locally.
    - Purchased a 20lt electric battery operated backpack sprayer saving $31.19 on usual prices.
    - Purchased a trailer hitch lock coupling for $22 saving $22.95 over buying locally.
    - Bought a 90 cm dual fan forced oven on Boxing Day special saving $212 on usual prices. Just so happens that it was reduced by a further $100 from what it was advertised online as a store special when we went to buy it and we got the only one in stock.

    Still unpacking and organising but we are getting there slowly.

    Have a great week ahead everyone.

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is wonderful that you have fruit trees on your property. Don't over do. You are doing a lot of work and don't need to hurt yourself. You did great on your Christmas Eve shopping. You food storage is very well stocked. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog