Broccoli Cheddar Chicken


I have been going through the pantry cleaning and organizing it. I do it at least once a year. Things get moved around and this is a great way for me to check everything. 


I came across a few cans of soup that expired the end of 2018. Hubby was traveling this week so it was a good time to make broccoli cheddar chicken. It is one of my favorites. Unfortunately now that I am on a low sodium diet, I don't make it often. 

I steamed a head of broccoli that is cut up.  I cut up a pound of chicken breast and put it all in a casserole dish. I add 2 cans of soup with a can of water(I use the water from the boiled broccoli). I cook at 400 degrees for 45 minutes. I then add some cheddar cheese on top and cook for 5 more minutes. We love cheese. 


I make homemade mashed potatoes with it. It is so good. 


The kids are happy to eat any leftovers. I would but I have to watch my salt.  

No one died from using the cans even though they expired in 2018. Do you pay attention to expiration dates on things? Would you have thrown out the soup because it already expired?  


Comments

  1. I would never have thrown the soup out especially after reading the studies about how long most food is still "good" long beyond the dates. The casserole looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum - that sounds fantastic. Don't you just love being able to throw something together all from the pantry & freezer? Soups are so great for casseroles.
    Thanks for another good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not function without my well stocked pantry.

      Delete
  3. I've been reading your blog for a few months, but rarely comment--on any blogs! While I am very comfortable with computers, I give social media a very wide berth! Thoroughly enjoy the opinions and journeys of others, though! I am learning a lot! :-)

    Canned foods: As long as the can isn't damaged or leaking, I typically will use the contents regardless of the date. I usually will pour it into a separate bowl--just in case!

    Ditto for frozen foods, although I also consider if the electricity was off frequently or for an extended period of time. That's a fairly rare occurrence, but traffic accidents and idiots digging without having the utilities marked first (underground utilities) can wreak havoc!

    You acquire some interesting freebies and manage to incorporate most of them into your lives--and gift items you can't use! That is a special talent! :-)

    Looking forward to your future savings.




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for commenting. I understand about social media. I hate the negativity out there. There is so much to be grateful for if everyone just looked.

      As long as the can looks good and the contents look and smell like normal I will use the item. I think most dates on food is just another way for companies to make more money off of us. Have a great day.

      Delete
  4. Use by or best by does not mean poison after.

    I am a home canning person. I date the jars with the day something is canned. Any home canning book will tell you that the food we can should be used within a year. But not a single one of the canning books will tell you to throw out food the day after its over a year old. That's the same for factory canned food. The date on cans represents the year old date. Some food processing plants are now putting a two year date or no date at all to help prevent so much wasted food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great if more people knew that the date doesn't really mean anything. I know so many people that throw perfectly good food away because of the date.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog