Clearance Racks


I stopped at CVS this morning after going to the chiropractor. I had to pick up a prescription. That is all I was going for. Somehow I ended up with a cart full of stuff. I always check out the clearance racks. I can't help myself. I have to. Well it really paid off. School supplies were marked 90% off. They had backpacks and lunch boxes. 

Now you might be thinking, her youngest daughter just started college. Why does she need a bunch of lunch boxes and backpacks? I don't. But there are lots of kids that do. Every year Hubby's company does a back to school fundraiser in August. School starts here in September so it is perfect timing. They collect school supplies and cash. I always hit the school sales and get a lot of supplies for this. Well I just did it early this year. 

I ended up getting 12 backpacks and 3 lunch boxes(that was all that was left) for $17 and change. I don't have the receipt in front of me. They were all priced from $10 to $20. While I was on line a lady behind me asked me why I had so many. I happily explained what I was doing. She pulled out a $5 bill and said she would like to make a donation towards the cost. So I only had to pay out $12.  

I went straight to Hubby's office to drop everything off.  We showed the lady in charge of the fundraiser. She was so happy. She said she had never thought to buy the items now for next year. She was in shock that all they cost was $17. I told her that while I am out this week I will check other stores and see what they have. She told me to get whatever I can and the company will reimburse me. I told her the first load is on us. That is our donation. Whatever else I can get, then I will take reimbursement. Hubby packed them up in 2 large boxes and marked the boxes. They put them in a room that they use for donations. So now I am on a mission. Watch out clearance racks. I am looking for school supplies. 


Comments

  1. Great thinking getting them early and no doubt there is a lot of children who do need them and many families who can't afford to buy them either. What a great thing you and your husbands business he works for are doing and how lovely the lady was to give you a donation towards your purchases.

    Still can't believe you purchased all of that for $17 well done :) .

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was so nice of that lady to give you $5 towards the cost. Kudos to you for finding all of this on clearance. Very nice of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a blessing.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice of you and the lady to donate. Hope you find some more bargains!! Happy hunting, Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I actually stopped at a different CVS after an appointment and they didn't have anything.

      Delete
  5. Good find! I would scope out the local businesses that feature back to school promotions and find out the "best" ones for next year's haul. You could also ask management when these businesses typically do their closeouts. Maybe they have a timetable they will be willing to share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walgreen did the same thing last week. Many toys were also 90 percent off so I bought several for xmas toy drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a wonderful idea, Marybeth! And bless that woman who contributed some of her money to your project. That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought is was very nice of her. I found 4 lunch boxes on clearance at Stop and Shop today. They were 80¢ each. I grabbed them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog