My Frugal list: Week of July 2, 2018


The kids are off in Italy having an amazing time with my sister. We are talking everyday because that's how I roll. I like my kids and I like to talk to them. They are sending me lots of amazing photos and videos. I am so happy that they are able to do this with their aunt. I hope they get to travel the world throughout their lives. There are some amazing places and sights that are beyond our imagination.


They are currently in Sorrento. They did a cruise to Capri and went to Pompei. They are trying new foods and learning so much. 


Back here in the USA, we are up to our usual stuff.  I have been trying to cook less but it is not easy. I process our groceries when I buy them so that it is easier for me when it is time to cook. Most packages are made with 4 people in mind with enough for some leftovers. It has been nice because I am not cooking everyday. Good thing Hubby and I don't mind leftovers. Before the kids left I had BBQ a chicken. I used the leftovers to make chicken noodle soup with some sad looking veggies. 


We have also eaten pancakes, steal cut oats, eggs, bagels, mac n cheese, hot dogs, salad, and beans and rice. We did get take out one night. I had gotten a $25 GC to Olive Garden. We picked out items so that we spent the whole card but didn't go over much. It cost less then a dollar. I picked it up and Hubby and I had a nice dinner in our backyard. Eating it at home saves us by not having to buy drinks or tipping. 


I cut my bangs. I cut them about once a month. I go to a hair dresser about twice a year to cut the back and straighten every thing out. 


The garden is doing great. I didn't have to water 2 days because of rain. That is always nice. I have been picking peas, lettuce, a few jalapenos and herbs. I gave a friend a head of lettuce too. 


I finished weeding my small garden.  I try to work on it in 30 minute intervals. I reseeded my pole beans in spots that didn't sprout. I also planted some more yellow squash where they didn't grow. 


I am super excited because I have a ton of baby tomatoes. I cannot wait! All of the tomato plants got tied up. I use holey socks and undergarments and cut them into strips to use as ties. It works great. I save them throughout the year. Eggs shelled are getting crushed and thrown in between the plants. Coffee grounds are also being added to the plants that like them. 


There were some great sales at the grocery store for the 4th of July. I saved $64.25 at just one store and got 75¢ back on Ibotta for that trip. 


I made dog food for the dogs.

I got 100 free listings on eBay so I listed a bunch of items. I sold 9 items this week. I used boxes and envelopes that were used to ship everything out. I drop off the packages on my way to work since I drive right past a post office. It saves me gas. 

My son washed the cars and mowed the lawn before he left.

Went out to breakfast with a friend. Used a gift card to pay for it.


Got books and movies from the library. I signed up for the summer reading programs. I received a reusable shopping bag. Hubby and I watched a movie 3 nights in a row. 

Had friends over for a fire pit with smores and wine. It was nice sitting around just us adults. They surprised us and brought 2 pints of ice cream so we enjoyed that too. 

Was asked to work an extra day. I brought lunch with me all 4 days that I worked. 

What did you do to save money this week? 







Comments

  1. Hi Mcoia and you are discovering the marvels of having the same meal a few days running with variations when only cooking for two :). It takes a bit of getting used to but you will get there and you children will be home again before you do probably. Your garden is looking fabulous and the ties made of old clothing is a great idea, we use baling twine as it is so cheap to buy in large rolls and we just keep reusing it.

    Our savings added up to $1294.73 last week.

    Here is how we feathered our nest and saved this week.

    House organisation -
    - Deep cleaned, vacuumed and washed the car and pulled out all the equipment from 3/4's of it and swept it. Still the other 1/4 to go through and organise.

    Financial -
    - Banked more money into our home deposit bank account bringing us to 26.38% of the way there.
    - Listed 23 handmade items and dried herbs picked from the gardens on eBay using a free listing promotion saving $37.95.

    Grocery purchases -
    - On 50% off plus another 5% off using our roadside assist club discount we purchased 24 tins of harvest long life tins of meat and vegetables, 13 tins of spam in various flavours and 1.5 kg of strawberries on special for making jam and received 5 free reusable bags saving $82.80 on usual prices.

    Other purchases -
    - At Rivers we purchased for DH 1 pair of ugg boots, 1 pair of leather ankle boots, 3 long sleeved cotton shirts, and 1 l/s t-shirt for me saving $201.06 or 61% off usual prices.
    - On eBay I purchased 8 pairs total (4 pairs ea) of leather and canvas high ankle work boots for $25.98 a pair delivered saving $912.16 on usual prices. Here in our country town we pay $140 a pair :O.
    - Purchased 6 led light bulbs on 50% off special saving $27 on usual prices. This will allow us to use our solar lanterns less and when we are only briefly going into rooms.

    In the gardens -
    - Picked and dried from the gardens we separated 46 g of French lavender, 28 g of English lavender and 21 g of marigold or calendula flowers saving $15.50.
    - Picked 1.215 kg of cherry tomatoes, 1.214 kg of beetroot and 500 g of carrots saving $21.83 on usual prices.

    All in all a good week of savings.

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you had a amazing week. You saved over $1200! You did great with all of the boots. I love Ugg boots but they are very expensive here. Hubby bought me a pair 8 years ago and they are still in great shape. I got clearance rain boots from Uggs last year for YD and I. They were $35 each. I had a visa gift card that I was given for my birthday and I used part of it to buy them. They are wonderful and so comfortable.

    Your garden is still doing great. Mine is making me very happy lately. Every morning I go out and its just getting bigger and better everyday. I love it. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a wonderful opportunity for your kids to travel. My sister took me and one daughter to Washington D.C. last spring, and it was such a good experience. She's the same sister who took us to San Francisco a couple of years ago. She loves to travel and does it a lot, and it was very nice of her to include us. I think the kids learn things that way that they could never learn any other way.

    I did a lot of shopping this past weekend as well. I had not bought much of anything for a couple of weeks, so hit all the sales at each store and got stocked back up again. I got a couple of dollars onto my Ibotta as well. Since I haven't needed to buy much these past few weeks, I haven't seen that account grow much lately--makes sense. Now I'm good to go for 2 weeks. I did use up the rest of the money I wanted to spend in my grocery period (I go from mid-month to mid-month due to the way my paychecks come in). I had set the amount a little lower this past month, and was delighted that it stretched so well.

    I got eggs for 59c, ice cream for $1.99, milk for 99c/1/2 gallon, bread for 50c/loaf, 5-28 oz peanut butters for $8, a few free items, a little produce as I have a lot in my garden, boneless skinless chicken breast for $4.99/3 lbs (I got 6 lbs), a few marked-down items, and lots of other odds and ends that were on my list. I hope I have enough "special" food items because my niece and nephew are returning from their vacation and I will start watching them again tomorrow and Thursday. They are very limited in their food choices, so I have to have the "right" foods on hand.

    Now, we have decided that we will substitute items if I run out of any grocery item, unless it's not possible (like milk for my niece). Of course, the first thing that happened was I ran out of tartar sauce on the very first day:). Thankfully, if the need arises, I know how to make some of that and have the ingredients. What next? Well, we'll see:). It's kind of funny that no matter how hard I try to plan, I always run out of something. It's a good challenge. I'm going to make up menu plans today. There's LOTS of food here. A plan helps me utilize the garden the best way and sometimes I use up things that have been hanging around too long if I'm purposeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is very generous and has taken my kids on several vacations. She has no children of her own so she spoils her nieces and nephews. She also tries to do an activity instead of a physical gift for birthdays and holidays. She has allowed my kids and sister's kids many opportunities that they wouldn't have otherwise. They have moved onto staying with a friend of her's for the next few days. They are having a wonderful time.

      That happens to me too. I think I have everything and then someone says where is such item. With several people in the house I can't always be sure what gets eaten. I have been know to hides food prior to parties to make sure things don't get eaten.

      Good luck with using up what you have. Your garden is producing lots so at least you don't have to worry about fresh fruits and veggies. I understand about your niece and nephew. I have a special nephew and I try to always have items I know he will eat. It is different from being a picky eater. They won'y eat if it isn't one of their foods.

      Delete
  4. Letting your kids travel abroad with their aunt is a fantastic opportunity for both generations. I always found ours learned so much more and history became a living subject when they were seeing where while hearing how. Plus it is just fun to travel!
    Sounds like you had another great week!
    I love seeing the photo of how the garden is doing. We have a small planting space and are not utilizing it this year, but there is always the possibility of a fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids are having an amazing time. Every time I talk to them they are telling me about the sights they saw and how great the food is. Today my daughter had a honey croissant. She had them last year when she was in Italy and couldn't wait to get one this trip. My son has been enjoying different kinds of seafood and lots of gelato.

      It is never to late to start your garden. I just planted more lettuce last week and have baby plants popping up every day. String beans would also work great still.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog