Friday Freebies

I did really well this week food shopping. I had a coupon for free potatoes from Stop & Shop with a $25 purchase. They were $4.99 regularly. We will enjoy them.


By shopping sales and using digital and paper coupons I got 2 boxes of cereal free.


I also had a $5 off $25 purchase so I am counting the 2 packs of cookies 


and the strawberries as free items too. 


I went to the grand opening of a new Shop Rite. They were giving out some free promotional items as well as lots of free food samples. 


I got fed at work as a special treat. I was able to bring home leftovers and I shared them with my kids. I never say no to leftovers.


My son is bringing home lots of goodies from work. I brought the pastry ring to work with me and my coworkers were very grateful. Anything that doesn't get brought home from his job goes into the garbage. I can always find people that are willing to eat free bread and pastries. 


The garden is going crazy. We have been having very hot days and very rainy nights. I finally got my first tomatoes. They were delicious. 


After one night of rain, I found a bunch of green tomatoes on the ground. I put them on the window sill. This week we have picked lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, string beans, peppers, dill, parsley, basil, and thyme. 


Work had leftover hats that we were giving out opening weekend of a movie. The extras go to the employees. I brought one home. Hubby and my son don't want it so I put it with my items that go in movie raffle baskets that I make for the church. 


My wonderful sister brought me lunch home. She had taken YD out to lunch.


YD and I went out to lunch after her Senior pictures. We used a gift card to pay for it. I cannot believe my baby is going to be a senior in high school.  I also went out to dinner with 2 friends and I paid mine with a gift card. People ask me what I want for my birthday and I really don't need anything. I do enjoy going out to eat occasionally so it is extra nice when it is free. 

Hubby also ate dinner at work one night. It was his office's quarterly meeting and they do a BBQ after.

YD did a clothes swap with  friends. She got several new to her outfits for the beginning of school without spending money. She traded several outfits that she no longer wanted or no longer fit her. 

What freebies did you get this week? What are you getting from your garden? 




Comments

  1. Wow I would be so fat if I had that many bakery things. I have no self control in that department. Our stores here never have freebie items. But those potatoes would be free if you picked them yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't either, that is why I give most of it away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mcoia and you did really well with all your freebies and produce picked from the gardens :).

    This weeks freebies included -

    - around 2 metres of stainless steel wire mesh a friend gave us as a thank you for giving him a back brace that was now too big for DH since he has lost a lot of weight. This saved us around $32.50 over purchasing it new in the shops and we should be able to make 2 - 3 herb drying racks out of it mounting it to a wood surround :) .

    - Traded an old spare wooden queen sized bed frame that needed repairing for 9 kg of honey saving $108 over purchasing it.

    - Picked 1.1 kg of cherry tomatoes from a volunteer plant and a 238 g head of broccoli from the gardens saving $16.02 over purchasing it in our local supermarket.

    All in all a good week of trading items we didn't need for items we did and some lovely fresh produce added to our meals for dinners.

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did some great bartering. Fresh, local honey is always the best.

      Delete
  4. It's nice that your son can bring home the leftovers. And also just makes sense instead of throwing them out. My son works for a donut chain after school and they aren't allowed to bring anything home. Such a shame. It's a waste really. This week the freebies and money saving aren't too much. Just blueberries again, picked all our garlic and dried it. Most of it is going to be sold. I got our first field cucumber. And lots of cucamelons. The hothouse cucumbers are dying off. But the tomatoes are ripening now. Hubby will be cutting his own hair tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did wonderful with all of your garden veggies and fruits.

      It drives me nuts that stores would rather throw perfectly good food away. If you don't want to give it to your employees then give it to a church or shelter or abused women's home. Last week my daughter needed ripe bananas for a smoothie so we stopped at a store when we were running errands. The produce guy was pulling lots of veggies off the shelf. The bananas that were out were all green so we didn't want them. I asked the produce guy if he had yellow ones with spots on them. He told me, you don't want those, they are soft and no good. I said that is exactly what I wanted. so he got me 4. I asked if he was going to put the fruits and veggies that he was pulling out on a marked down rack. He told me no they go in the garbage. No one wants them. I asked if they donate any and he said no they aren't allowed. He had boxes of perfectly good food that was going to be tossed into the garbage. Such a waste.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog