It has been a long day

*I am going to vent a little so please skip to the bottom if you don't want to hear me complain. Thank you. 

It has been a looooong day! Actually it has been a long few days. I don't know what is going on with people lately but everywhere I look, people are super grumpy and complaining. I work at a movie theater and I am a secretary and I work at Guest Services. I answer phones all day long and try to help out the customers in any way I can. I like my job. I really do most days. Yesterday was a school holiday and it rained. Today was our bargain day. It must be a full moon out. 

Here is some of my advice. If you are at a movie theater to watch a movie, you should be HAPPY! You are not about to have your taxes audited. You are not at the oral surgeon getting your teeth pulled. You are not at a divorce lawyers office. I understand if you are grumpy then. You are not. You are going with your family and friends, your young children and screaming and cursing at people because the movie you wanted to see is sold out. I am sorry. I really am. BUT there is nothing I can do for you. I will check to make sure it is sold out. I will even check other times and movies for you. But don't yell at me and curse in front of your kids. 

Please do not bring your dog with you to the movies (unless it is a service dog of course). Dogs are not children. I love dogs. But Oreo has never come to the movies with me and she never will. Please do not try to hide the tiny dog in your purse. I will find you from the barking. You are bothering everyone in the theater and you are making me search for you which bothers everyone too. Please do not curse at the customer who tells me its you because it was you and you do have a small dog in your bag. I can hear it. 

Please do not come in on a Tuesday and ask can we do a birthday party for you on Saturday. I'm sorry we can't. Our schedule is already done so we do not have a party hostess for you. Please do not berate the young lady that is doing her job because you don't like her answer. Please do not call the theater a half hour later and lie about what happened. I was the lady standing next to the young girl you were screaming at. She was not rude, you were. Maybe you should have remember you kids birthday a month ago and booked the party then. Please do not threaten to call my boss on me . This conversation is being recorded like it said when you placed the call so my boss can hear this whole conversation. 

Like I said, it has been a long couple of days. So when I came home, I wanted to cheer myself up.

 So I smelled some flowers, 


I got myself a giant chocolate chip cookie and a cup of milk,


and I played with my puppy girl. 


Like magic, I am good again. Have a wonderful night everyone! 



Comments

  1. Hi Mcoia and that post made me laugh so much I had tears streaming down my face. Now I will clarify why I laughed is that I have worked in retail and I don't think anyone knows how hard it is when these incidences happen regularly, and I totally empathise with your bad day.

    I have been both in retail, management, andowned my own businesses and have had frozen chickens and mobile phones thrown at me (which I caught) and so wanted to throw back at them.

    But you know what, I would simply not stoop to their level and literally refused to serve them and told them to stand in a corner. Yes I have been well known over the years to put adults in the naughty corner and refuse service to them until they speak to me civilly and in one case where a drunk male customer threw punches at me I pinned him to a wall with a 4 legged office chair until shopping centre security arrived to take him off with the police. Chairs are a very good defense and pinning of the violent person passive weapon I have learned :) .

    I am glad you went home and detoxed (is what I call it when calming down after a retail incident/s) . Keep smiling at the "grumpies" because that annoys them more than anything else.

    A note hear to all of us normal folk please compliment a retail salesperson for their great service and give them a smile as working in any position where you are dealing with the general public is not easy.

    Have a great week Mcoia and don't let them get to you.

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had soda, popcorn, and candy thrown at me by adults. I have seen adults spit on teenagers for slow service. Most of my customers are wonderful. We have so many regulars that come and I enjoy them so much. Several regular customers have defended me and others when a grumpy customer tries to start in. I had a wonderful customer just call my boss about me yesterday. Most are great but there are always 1 or 2 rotten apples.

      And you are right. Smiling and being even nicer when they are being grumpy just makes them more angry.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for chocolate chips cookies and dogs to make up for those unpleasant people :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oreo makes me smile everyday. She is always so happy when I get home whether I was gone 5 minutes or 5 hours. I think most of these grumpy people should look into getting a cat or dog and then they might not be so grumpy anymore.

      Delete
    2. Agreed. It is hard to be grumpy when you have the companionship of a dog.

      Delete
  3. Great topic today, thank you, it made me smile. People are really crazy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just 1 or 2 rotten apples in the bunch. Most of them are very friendly.

      Delete
  4. I was grumpy in my head today because I had three hours sleep one night and two hours last night. However, I found out yesterday that I had been cancer-free for two years and can start coming once a year instead of twice. That was Monday. Then, on Tuesday I was told I do not have breast cancer. I like it when businesses record conversations. I do not lie, but employees often do. They get caught, too. If I have to go to movies where dogs are approved, then I will take one of my chickens. Trouble is, they would not make a sound in a darkened theatre. They would just go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulation for being cancer free for 2 years. That is wonderful. I'm glad the breast cancer test came back negative. Hopefully you will get some sleep now that you know that.

      Employees have been caught in lies. I think that is why they record us. It is also good for training new employees. You just can't make up some of the things people say and do.

      In NY we cannot ask to see paperwork for support animals. We have to assume it is until is causes a problem. Then we can ask them to leave. Unfortunately it is usually during a movie. I would love to see a chicken come in. We had a pig once. The pig was so cute and didn't squeal once. It was better behaved then some of the people.

      Delete
    2. Oh man, this did NOT make me miss my days of customer service! I've worked in video stores (showing my age here!) and at a fabric store and EGADS, there are some angry and terrifying people out there. I've been physically threatened, I had my boss send me to the back a few times to get me out of eyesight of a creepy guy customer that was kind of stalking me, I've been sexually harassed in front of other coworkers, I've felt unsafe at work due to the behavior of customers (a male co-worker who lived nearby told me to call him and he'd be right over, after I relayed to him what what had happened the night before). It's amazing what people will do and try to get away with in places of business.

      Glad you found some ways to get back to a happy place after a frustrating day! The dog-at-the-movies made me laugh. I've seen employees having to chase customers down when said customers brought their dog into a grocery store. WHO DOES THAT????

      Delete
    3. There are some very interesting people out there. We have had to have customers barred from the building for harassing/threatening/stalking employees. Some people need to chill out. Other customers, thankfully are amazing. I have been given chocolate, flowers, birthday cards and when I was out on disability, get well cards. I have known some of these customers for 12+ years.

      Delete
  5. The anger is everywhere these days. Not just anger but rudeness and impatience too. I see it every place I go from bus stops to doctor offices to schools. We've become a nation divided and no one seems to know how to fix it. Personally I believe its all coming from too many hours in social media picking up issues and habits unheard of a few decades ago. I'm glad you were able to calm yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I tell my kids that if people are that nasty at a movie theater then their lives are much worse then ours. It usually doesn't bother me, but sometimes enough is enough.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog