My Frugal List: Week of October 1, 2018

I started out the week not feeling well still. I ended up calling out from work one day. I don't get paid if I don't work since I am part time. That is OK since I really needed the rest. I am doing much better, thank goodness. I did have the eye doctor again and he said my eye is all better. Thanks to my insurance and already meeting my deductible the visit is covered. I did get some things done this week even with not feeling great. 


We made a big batch of chili with tomatoes and peppers from my garden. We changed the recipe some, like omitting the cayenne pepper since I had plenty of hot peppers in my garden. I always add extra beans to the recipe too and no one ever complains. The chili came out great. Hubby was calling it 5 alarm chili all night. It came out a little hotter then we are used too. That's what happens when you use fresh peppers I guess. We put it on rice for dinner. I put a container in the fridge for the next few days lunch. 3 big containers went into the freezer for 3 future meals. I put a pound of pork and a pound of ground beef in it. Both were bought on sale. I think the whole pot cost about $6 and we will get about 16 servings. With the rice, that comes to less then 40¢ a serving. Hubby loves having a bowl of chili while watching football. 

I went to a bridal shower. I had bought the gift off of the registry. It was originally $49.99. I used a $10 off $30 purchase. I then used a $25 gift card from Swagbucks. My total after tax was just over $18. The store had a wrapping station so I wrapped the present there. I used a card I had in my card box. Last summer I had gotten about 50 cards for $1 at a garage sale. I like what I paid for the gift and the bride to be loved her gift. I had a great time. The food was wonderful. I brought home half of my meal because there was so much. We played several games and my mom won one. My cousin made the favors and they came out really cute. She turned soap bottles into brides. 


The garden is still hanging in there. The tabasco peppers are all turning red now. Tomatoes are still coming in. I picked my last 2 cucumbers and all of my carrots. I chopped and froze the carrot tops to use in soups this winter. I did some garden cleaning up on things that are done. 


I had so many tabasco peppers that Hubby and I made more hot sauce. It's even hotter then the first batch. I pureed this batch to see which way we like it better. Last time I just chopped it in the food processor. I made 3 small jars worth.


My sister is a teacher and one of her lessons this year is reading the newspaper. She received 30 copies of the Sunday newspaper. She gave me all of the coupon inserts. If a good deal comes along I might really stock up. 

Hubby and I paid all of our bills online saving stamps. 

I sold 4 items this week on eBay. I used old boxes and envelopes that I had gotten from work to mail everything out in. I listed a ton of stuff while I was home not feeling well. Maybe I will make some extra money to put towards Christmas. 

We watched Lip for several days this week while my sister was away. Lip and Oreo eat 75% of homemade food. 


While I wasn't feeling well, Hubby took good care of me and even made me brownies. The kids helped make dinner several nights and cleaned everything up too. We did get Chinese one night. We got 2 entrees and a quart of soup. There was enough leftovers that the kids took it to school the next day. 

I hung laundry outside on the sunny days and inside on the rainy days. Hubby installed the new gasket on the washing machine that he ordered a few weeks ago. It is working so much better since he took it apart. Hubby also fixed a small rusty patch on his truck. 


I got several freebies from a friend. Her FIL downsized and was getting rid of lots of stuff. I took some things and passed them along. The fabric I am planning on using for some gifts. I have been learning how to sew so free fabric is wonderful. 

We had an energy auditor come into the house and do lots of tests last week. This week they came back and went over everything they found. It was free through our electric company. We will be receiving a thank you box in the mail sometime in the next month. We found a few things that Hubby can do that will help with our heating and electric costs. Some of them are very inexpensive, some cost more so we will save up to do them. I am always looking for ways to save more money. 

We did FAFSA and college applications. YD worked on scholarships. 

What did you do this week to stay frugal? 









Comments

  1. Ooh, free fabric IS always nice! Thrift stores and yard sales are often treasure troves for inexpensive fabric, and old sheets often make fantastic pieces of fabric (especially when you're learning or terrified of screwing up, like me!). That hot sauce looks wonderful; that's on my list of something to make one day after we expand our garden. My husband loves hot sauce, so he'd be over the moon. :)

    I'm glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Some of the fabric is sheets. I am really trying to get better at sewing. My OD taught herself, so she gives me some tips. This is our first year making hot sauce. We will definitely do it again next year. There are still a ton of peppers on the plant. As long as we don't get a frost, I should be able to make more.

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling much better now. Looks like you had a nice and thrifty week. You have had a gorgeous harvest and I am truly envious. Maybe next year I can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am feeling much better. Start small on a garden. I have been in my house 18 years and it just grows and grows. It is so delicious and really helps keep grocery costs down. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

      Delete
  3. Hi Mcoia and you did really well for the week especially since you were sick. I am glad you are better now and it is lovely you have a lovely supportive family around you :) .

    Our Vicky challenge added up to $152 in savings last week.

    Finances-
    - Listed 32 items on eBay using a free listing promotion saving $99.50 on usual listing fees.
    - Saved more money into our home deposit savings account bringing us to 28.99% of the way there for a new build or 42.17 % of the way there for an established home.

    In the gardens -
    - Picked 1 kg of broad beans, 500 g of snow peas and 23 bunches of silver beet from the gardens saving $99.50 over purchasing them in the shops.
    - Planted 75 heirloom sweet corn seeds in the gardens and then it rained to water them in :).

    Other frugal things -
    - Replaced 2 old falling apart wardrobes in the garage with 2 x 4 shelf stainless steel ones we purchased. I also saved the vintage handles off the wardrobes to sell.
    - Saved dish rinsing & blanching & cooling water to water fruit tree pot plants and newly planted vegetable seeds in the gardens.
    - Used saved grey water from our showers and washing machine to water the house paddock lawns with.
    - Washed out and dried plastic zip lock freezer bags to reuse for other items.

    Have a great week ahead everyone :).

    Sewingcreations15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing great on your home savings account. I know so many people who put so little down when they buy a home. Then you have to pay PMI on top of the mortgage and taxes. So silly.

      We love sweet corn. That is wonderful that you got rain. Hope your rain barrels are full. Have a frugal week.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog