Homemade Croutons

If you have ever read any of my Friday Freebies posts, you know my son brings home lots of bread and bagels from work. I am trying to use more of what I have instead of buying processed foods. Hubby and I are trying to watch our weight/lose some so I have been making lots of salads. Hubby is allergic to dairy(butter, milk, cheese) and lots of croutons that you buy in the store contain dairy. I used to make croutons all of the time but have been lazy about it in the last few years. Not any more. 


I took one of the plain bagels and cut in in half.


I then cut in into slices


Then I cut it into cubes. 


I put them into a covered container. 


I added olive oil, parsley, garlic powder and onion powder. I covered it up and shook it.


I then put them on a cookie sheet.


I baked them at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.


They came out perfect!


We had a big salad for dinner. I put out lots of toppings so everyone gets what they like. I had grilled chicken, hard boiled egg, apple, celery, feta cheese, almonds and homemade croutons. It was delicious. 

Have you ever made homemade croutons? 

Comments

  1. Love homemade croutons! Good use of your freebies. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to use all the ends and bits of leftover breads to make croutons and bread crumbs. I no longer eat any grains and my freezer crouton jar is filled to the brim. Ditto with bread crumbs. Now I am saving the bits and pieces to make TheHub individual bread puddings. (Or mixing the dried bits with beef fat to make treats for the birds)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make bread pudding and breadcrumbs too. It it is a good use of bread ends. As long as they don't go in the garbage, I am happy.

      Delete
  3. I never have but my sister does and they are Delicious. I plan to have chicken salads this week. Using up some chicken breasts left by one of our renters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome! I used to love croutons, but after breaking a tooth on a hard piece of food years ago, I tend to shy away from anything crunchy these days. But I bet those are absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the odd/broken slices of gluten free bread (always seem to end up with a couple, whether from a homemade or storebought loaf) to make bread crumbs or occasionally croutons. The few times I've tried storebought gf croutons, they were hard as rock ( and of course, expensive). Homemade is so much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made YD some GF croutons. I added Parmesan cheese to hers. She loved them.

      Delete
  6. They look wonderful! I've made gluten free ones before (all I can eat) and they lose something in the translation--too crunchy. At least mine were! Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made some for YD and she loved them. Maybe cook them a few minutes less and see how they are. Good luck.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog