My Frugal List: Week of January 21, 2019

We have had a busy week. The laundry area is coming along nicely. Everything is painted and shelves went up. The dryer is hooked up and working. The washing machine is not hooked up because we are waiting for the the new hoses to arrive. I love that my vacuum fits in there now. It never has before. It always sat in the office because I didn't have any where to store it. I am love with the light. It just makes it look so much better. 


I cooked another pumpkin. I still have one more in the basement to cook still. 


I cleaned out the coat closet. We had so many gloves, scarves and hats. I donated a bag of each to my church outreach program. We also got rid a few coats, bags and board games. They were happy to have it all. 


We ate really well this week. I grilled a bunch of chicken cutlets.We ate them with baked white and sweet potatoes and broccoli. The next night I made a big salad. We had pasta with veggies, and flank steak in the crock pot 2 other nights. 


Hubby and I ended up going out twice this week. Friday the kids were both working. When I told him, he suggested we use a gift card that we were given for Christmas. I reminded him that we had plans Sunday to go out to eat. He said who cares. Dinner Friday was at a very popular Italian restaurant. We chose to eat in the pizza section since we didn't have a reservation. I ordered Chicken Francaise with a salad, Hubby got a pasta dish with sausage and broccoli rabe. We shared my salad and I ate some of his pasta. We both drank water. We still have some money left on the GC. There are no waitresses in this section so we didn't even have to leave a tip. We came home with lots of leftovers. The kids and I had my leftovers for lunch Saturday and I finished it off the next day at lunch. Hubby made some more pasta because there was barely any left but lots of garlic, broccoli rabe and sausage. He had it Saturday for lunch and shared it with our son on Sunday. 


Sunday we went to one of our favorite restaurant, Tellers. It used to be a bank and is now a restaurant. The old vault is now the wine room. It is really nice place. OD and her BF gave us a GC for Christmas. This week was restaurant week where they run a set menu. You have the choice of 3 appetizers, 3 main courses and 2 desserts. You can also add wine pairings for $15. Hubby got it with the wine, I did not since I don't drink. Sometimes the menus are not things that we like. This week we loved the menu. To start, I had lobster bisque and hubby had a wedge salad with bacon and veggies. I then had beef wellington and Hubby had salmon. I forgot to take pictures before we started eating. 


Everything was so good. For dessert, the 2 offerings had dairy and the menu says no substitutions so we planned on bringing one home. The waitress offered Hubby other choices because of his dairy allergy. They keep it in their records. I got the brownie sundae and he got passion fruit and peach sorbet. This is one of those restaurants that everything is slow and so worth it. We got to talk and laugh for 2 and a half hours. It was wonderful. We did bring home our leftovers. 


Again, sorry I couldn't help myself and I ate some before the picture. 


My son brought home lots of goodies from work. I froze some of the bread right away. I gave some bagels to my friend as we were carpooling the girls to the school for their senior trip. 

YD went on her senior trip. She worked enough volunteer hours to get half the trip paid for. That is the most you are allowed. YD borrowed all of her snow gear for skiing. The resort provides the skis. We gave her $100 as extra money and she gave me back $90. She is such a good kid. All of the kids were given a shirt for going on the trip. She won a shirt from the resort at a trivia contest. She said she had plenty to do that was included, skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, swimming, bowling, Bingo, karaoke and trivia. Certain things were extra like the game room, souvenirs and vending machines. She only bought lunch at the rest stop on the way there. We were not allowed to send any open food so that meant no packing a sandwich. I did send her with sealed snacks such as a bag of baby carrots, a small container of peanut butter, GF crackers and GF cookies. She brought an empty reusable water bottle that she was allowed to fill at the HS once her stuff was OKed. She had an amazing time and it didn't break the bank. 

I picked up my cousin's son from preschool. She had a doctor's appointment for a follow up to the surgery. She left me money to get McD's for lunch. The 3 year old loved it. Me, not so much. The fries were delicious. The rest, NOT. I remember why I never go there. It was nice that she wanted to treat and make sure that the 3 year old would eat. We played for about 2 hours before my cousin came home. I had a lot of fun but I was tired. 


My friend has a membership to Restaurant Depot. When she went she looked for GF flour for YD. They had a 25 pound bag for $30. That is very cheap compared to what I have paid for it so far. She got me a bag and told me to make sure YD likes that kind. We now have a cheaper source for it. 

I listed 20 items on Craigslist. I have had only 1 low ball offer. I will wait and see. January tends to be a slower month. I think most people have credit card shock after Christmas. 

I went to BJ's for milk, soy milk and bananas. I always check the meat department prices. They had chicken cutlets on sale for $1.69 a pound. I bought 10 pounds worth.

YD and I went to see the movie Bumblebee with free passes. We had a great time. We went another day looking for a prom dress. Didn't find anything yet. We grabbed lunch with GCs we got from Christmas. She had midterms all week. 
'
The kids and I went through our car emergency bags. We added items that were missing. All of the cars are ready to go. 

I went to 2 more library classes. I borrowed more books and movies. I love the library! 


I got several freebies this week. Several of them will be put away for Easter baskets. 

I shopped sales, used coupons and did Ibotta.

I did Swagbucks all but 1 day. 

Even though it has been really cold, I kept the heat the same temp. Everyone was fine with multiple layers and extra blankets on the bed. 

I listened to Dave Ramsey's podcasts while I was cleaning. 

What did you do this week to stay frugal?





Comments

  1. Hi Mcoia and so glad you were able to find a cheaper source for gluten free flour, it all helps with the savings :). Glad to hear that you and your DH had two date nights together with lovely gifted gift cards too.

    Our savings last week added up to $162.77 :).

    Blessings -
    - We finally got around from our estimate around 5mm of much needed rain to almost fill our rain tanks and water the dry ground.
    - A friend who has too many eggs gave us 1.5 dozen which we will put to great use in our home.

    In the kitchen -
    - Made a 1.02kg batch of chocolate fudge from condensed milk made from our food storage and other items we had in our grocery stockpile saving $55.67 over buying it in the shops (fudge is running out at $3.50 per 60g to buy :O ).
    - Made a 2.2kg pie from meat from roast chickens we purchased on special on Christmas Eve and tinned mushrooms and corn saving us $36.15 over buying it from the supermarkets.

    Listings and finances -
    - Paid another extra small payment on our home loan to save interest and time on the loan.
    - Using a free listing promotion on Ebay I was able to list 43 items free of charge saving $70.95 on usual listing fees.

    Water Preservation -
    - During a recent storm where the rain came down heavily I put out rain barrels to catch the rainwater going over gutters and rain water tank sheds. We have been using this water to fill drink bottles, hand washing water buckets and water our potted fruit trees and herbs rather than using town water.
    - We saved grey water from our washing machine to water ornamental plant pot plants and used our grey water that was pumped from our grey water tank to water 2 mulberry trees rather than use town water.

    Hope everyone has a wonderful week ahead :).

    sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job this week. Every little bit extra towards your mortgage really adds up over time. Glad you got more rain. It was pouring here last night. I was happy to have it since it could have been snow if it was a few degrees colder. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  2. Wowza girl what a great week. Couldn't have donated coats and hats at a better time. I am sure someone in need will be blessed.
    Sounds like your daughter had a great trip. You raised her well!!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cleaned to closet out because I figures someone could use the stuff. It is cold today. I dropped everything off The day before the soup kitchen so they could hand everything out then.

      YD did have a great time. So much fun that she forgot to take pictures. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  3. That is a fabulous price on gluten free flour, wow! We have a Restaurant Depot...pretty much right across the street from our house (the side of our house)- we live behind a wall that separates our place from a state highway, so if I wanted to cross that crazy busy nightmare, I could walk there! I've heard great things about them but we don't have a business license, so we can't shop there. How awesome of your friend for helping you have access to it!!!

    We turned our heat *up*, unfortunately, because the temps are so brutal here that turning the heat up was recommended in order to keep everything working. By Saturday, it'll be like 40, though, instead of the -22 (with windchills at -50!) that it was when I got up this morning, so we'll be able to turn it back down then. :)

    You had a great week! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy Moly that is cold. Where do you live? Ask around if anyone has a card for RD. That is what I did. I never realized this friend had one. Also learned another friend has one too. They both offered to let me go one day with them. I have never been before so I will have to keep control of not buying everything. Stay warm and have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  4. You always have such great weeks of savings. Such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I wish I could go back to my twenties and be this way. I had many years of frivolous spending. I guess I am lucky that I learned in my thirties. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  5. I had 22 no spends this month, I was able to pay 25% off my 401K loan (2100) and have the remainder of the balance to pay the water softener install on Friday (2000). I have switched to cash for groceries, and implemented a needs only spending month which I will carry on for the quarter. DH told me he wants to buy an RV in April and I told him he better stop spending, start saving because he needs to pay cash for it. We will see.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great. I hope your husband gets on board with paying cash. It really reduces the stress level when you don't have to worry about paying for it every month. 22 no spend days is amazing. I don't think I get that many in 4 months no less one. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
  6. There are some things that are really good with that kind of flour from Bob's Red Mill. I've used it before.

    They also have another kind, which is called 1-1 Gluten Free All-Purpose flour or something similar (I don't have a bag in front of me right now.). I love that one when I'm substituting straight across the board for white flour in baking. If you could try that one, too, you would be able to know which one you like better. If I could only buy one, I'd buy the 1-1, but I actually have both on hand. (When you live a little over an hour from Bob's Red Mill, you buy them all! At least I do!)

    I also love the Pamela's pancake and baking mix (with almond flour in it) and use it for muffins and pancakes. I don't know what a restaurant supply store carries, as we don't have them here, so I don't know if those 2 are available there.

    I spent a while this morning making gluten-free buns from a recipe I have used for years. It uses oat flour as the base. They are really good.

    I also cleaned out my bin that has all those gluten-free products in it, and now I know what I have and what I don't. I'm planning to replace a couple of things I'm out of, and use up odds and ends as I can. Because it's so easy to bake with the flour blends that they have now, I find I don't mix my own as much as I did at first when I became gluten-free, so some of the more strange flours tend to linger longer than they should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A friend had recommend Pamela's pancake mix when we first had YD go GF. We did try another brand but the Pamela's was much better. I have only found small bags of it. I will keep an eye out for the 1-1 GF flour. Thanks for the heads up.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog