My Frugal List: Beginning of April 2019


It has been so busy the last few weeks. All good stuff but busy. The most important thing that happened is OD got engaged. We are so happy for them. Since that means there is a wedding in the future, lets look at some ways I saved money recently. 


We celebrated Easter early with OD and her BF. We always do an egg hunt. They were finding them for days after we left. We went to an event at the college YD will be attending this August while we were in Maryland. We slept at OD's apartment (thanks). We brought Long Island bagels with us and had them for breakfast both days. We packed cold cuts and made sandwiches for lunch while driving both ways. We had lunch at the college(it was included). We did treat OD to take out while we were there for dinner. It was short but we sure packed a lot in. 


Hubby and I made Ruby a welcome to the family present. We used items that we already had, so it cost $0 to make. I did add a bag of treats that I bought with a coupon. 


I made YD a loaf of GF bread,


and a batch of GF chocolate chip banana muffins. Several went into the freezer for future use.


Hubby was traveling so I made broccoli cheddar chicken. They kids happily ate the leftovers.


Large quantities of waffles were made and stored in the freezer for easy breakfasts. I made a batch of GF chocolate chip and a batch of dairy free blueberry. 


Lip came over for a week while my sister was away. He likes to literally be on top of you. 


Remember the free dog food I got from Petco for doing an evaluation on the dogs. Well they sent me a survey to complete. I got a $5 GC for doing it. 


I went to a library class. We painted birdhouses. I love sunflowers so I did mine with them. 


Down the block from me is cleaning out the house. The lady that lived there past away a while ago. She was a pack rat. They are putting everything at the curb. Hubby and I went over to talk to her son and daughter in law. They told us to take whatever we want. This was just what was in her attic. There had to be over 200 boxes. They said the whole house is like this. There is a 2 car garage that you cannot move in. They are trying to empty it out to sell it this summer. Good luck with that. Tons of cars were stopping to go through everything. There is a huge mess now. When Hubby and I went through stuff, we kept everything neat. 


We found lots of goodies. We made several trips back and forth. My son came back with us. 


Hubby found some radio equipment. It works great and he hooked it up in the basement. 


I found these 2 coffee grinders. They both work great.


I found several pieces of art. My sister just bought a house on the water so I am going to see if she wants any of them. Otherwise I will list them for sale. 


There were lots of old books. I took about a dozen classics. I took several boxes of old china and vintage glass wear. I already started listing items on Craigslist. I will be splitting all profits between the college fund and newly made wedding fund. 


On nice days, laundry has been hung outside. Otherwise it was hung inside on racks. 


Hubby went away for work and brought home all the extra toiletries for me. 


Hubby and I went to see Captain Marvel. One of my old managers hooked me up with free passes. A different manager gave me free popcorn when we went. I guess it was good that I always shared my son's treats from work. We had a great time and it cost us nothing. We brought water from home. 

What did you do this week to be frugal? 










Comments

  1. Wow how fun getting to go through a hoarder stash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun and sad at the same time. The family was just getting rid of everything. They weren't even opening boxes. We saw tons of old photos. They said they will be doing this every weekend for the next month. They said when the start on the garage they will let us know.

      Delete
  2. It is always sad to see the remains left when someone passes away. Anytime I go to an estate sell I feel so sad and feel like I am some how intruding on their private world.
    You got some awesome finds however. It is kind of the folks to just give it away and benefit others.
    Congrats on the prospect of getting a new SON in-law.
    Sounds like you have had a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family just wanted everything gone. It was sad.

      We are very excited about are soon to be SIL. He is a great guy and we already consider him family.

      Delete
  3. How exciting to go through all that stuff and some great finds. Sad too though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a dumpster in the driveway now. I am assuming someone called the town and complained.

      Delete
  4. Great finds Mcoia at the hoarders home, sad that things get that bad a mess for some people. We have a friend who is similar and just has stuff everywhere and we helped him move suggesting to him once moved to get rid of or sell some of the things he has rather than let them sit. All these things are now stored on a friend's acreage property :( . Good move to sell some of the things you found too to make money for your family : ) .

    Our savings last week added up to $967.14 :) .

    Blessings -
    - Our neighbour gaves us 2 cooked mud crabs and 3 rockmelons from her gardens.

    In the gardens and house -
    - We cleaned the fireplace flue using a drill operated flue cleaner we purchased on eBay saving $167.14 over getting a tradesperson in to do it for us even including the cost of the flue cleaner purchase :o .
    - Crawled into the ceiling cavity to measure up for the insulation batts we are saving for. Serious spraying in there before we clean it and put the batts in as there is Redback spiders and eggs sacks in the corners and I am not taking any chances.
    - Pulled down 3 more grapeyard vineyard enclosure 14' ironbark posts and only 3 more to go, happy dances.

    Groceries & kitchen baking -
    - Found lots of up to and half price specials and purchased tinned cream of chicken and mushroom soups, ice cream, tinned tuna and reduced produce from IGA saving $111.16 on usual prices.
    - Did a bulk purchase of staples and tinned fruits from Woolworths and took advantage of $10 off supermarket rewards (you get these on your card when you have spent a certain amount), our $15 off for using our roadside assist grocery gift cards and other specials saving $28.15 on usual prices.
    - Did a bulk order for things we were short of from Nuts About Life website being cocoa powder, coconut, cinnamon, cashews, walnuts, mild curry powder and nutmeg and saved $134.10 over buying them in either Aldi or Woolworths too including delivery for the equivalent amounts.

    Finances and listings -
    - Listed 10 more free listings on eBay saving $16.50 on usual listing fees.

    Purchases -
    - At a school fete we purchased a electrician tested secondhand breadmaker for $5 for making jam, a good condition insulated army surplus coat for DH for $10 (usually about $99 - $149 secondhand) and a new suede leather hat for me for $10 (usually about $40 - $79 each) saving $262.80 over buying new or the coat secondhand.

    We had a wonderfully productive and money saving week this week too :).

    Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have bought the bread maker for $5 too. I love using it for making jam. What kind do you make? The surplus coat was a great find. Those go for a lot of money near me. You did great on shopping as always. Have a wonderful week.

      Delete
    2. Mcoia the jam we make most of is strawberry jam but do make orange and lemon marmalade and soon we will be branching into making blueberry jam too as we managed to get some frozen blueberries at a really good price just recently.

      We were thinking of buying a new second breadmaker but as we are paying off a mortgage when we saw the secondhand one for such a good price we though well why not and it had already been tested too. As we make our own bread too we find we regularly have bread going in one and now we can have 2 going one with jam and one with bread and multitask.

      DH had been looking for an surplus army coat forever and they are so hard to find. I could see him doing little happy dances when he saw it and his face light up so I had to buy it for him for such a low price.

      Sewingcreations15 (Lorna) .

      Delete
    3. I love having 2 bread machines for pizza night. I can make 2 doughs at a time.

      Delete
  5. A bread maker for making jam ??? If you see this and can would you please explain this. I have a bread maker but seldom use it as we do bread by hand mostly using the no knead bread recipes. Is the jam making a special feature on some bread machines??? Or do most do it? You've got me wondering for sure!! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bread machine came with a recipe booklet. It had several kinds of jams that you can make in it. So I tried one out and we loved it. I make jam all the time in it. I don't have to stand there and stir constantly. It is wonderful. I have a Cuisinart and the #10 setting is jam. Look up your brand and see if it is able to make jam.

      Delete
    2. Kendall not all breadmakers come with a jam or jelly setting on them and I know the earlier models didn't. The best way is to look at the control panel at the top of your machine with the settings and see if it has jam or jelly written on it and if so you can make jam in your breadmaking machine.

      Also if you have the instruction manual to the machine you have there should be recipes near the back to make jam with too in your breadmaker. If you don't have the instruction manual for your machine if you search on google you will find that most are on there and free to download most of the time to give you the recipes.

      Hope this helps.

      Sewingcreations15 (Lorna).

      Delete
  6. I'm laughing because we just returned from a family visit to St Louis with a baggie full of Crabtree & Evelyn Verbena & Lavender toiletries. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good stuff. I am happy to use it. Hubby brings me home the best presents. He also brought me home the free cookies. I love when he stays at Double Tree.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Garden Harvest 2020

Dirt

Welcome to my new blog